Sunday, October 07, 2007

Rusty Bars

Woke up early, went out for breakfast, then went to an interesting class at a local synagogue. Came home, changed clothes and went to the gym I visited the other day. Didn't push it; went slowly and thankfully neither the left shoulder nor the left hip did any objecting. Four sets of squats with ab work in between (10x45lbs, 10x45, 10x60, 10x70), four sets of flat bench presses with ab work in between (10x45, 10x55, 10x60, 10x65), 10 minutes on the rower and 15 minutes on the treadmill. I did something that I never do, which is choose one of the built in programs on the treadmill. I picked a spiky but not insane program. Almost flew off the treadmill at the end because I was distracted by subtitles on one of the tv screens. It was showing De Niro and Gooding Jr. in Men of Honor, which is great to watch if you're feeling whiny when you really have nothing to whine about. I hadn't planned to use the rower and the treadmill, but I just felt like moving more today. I've been indoors so much lately, either with long days at work or just being a homebody.

Gym was quiet. The entire weights area looks like a holdover from the early 70s, down to the exercise posters and ancient Nautilus machines. There was a ton of rust on the bar I was using for squats. I only realized after I was done the squats that the bench press bars were nice and clean. I'm swapping bars next time. The locks didn't fit the bars very well.

I like the cardio area, even though I'm only going to be using the rower, treadmill and upright bike for my intervals. It still has upright bikes and rowers. The brand new gym I visited last week was mostly ellipticals and recumbent bikes. Apparently people find upright bikes too hard now. The other thing I noticed is how little padding the benches in this gym had compared to brand new gym. I think I like these benches better.

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM , Blogger sarena said...

Hey I too am Orthodox and live in NY. I am an avid Crossfit female that will be in Jerusalem in a week or two. Where did you lift there? I need to find a gym before I go.
I was thinking of traveling with a kettlebell but am afraid elal will view it as a bomb!
pls email me
c1sarena@gmail.com
thanks

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Rust! Well at least it sounds like you'd have the squat area to yourself.

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Sarena - I just sent you an e-mail. (BTW, I am not Orthodox).

M@rla - true. It was just...strange. I've never seen that much rust on a bar in a commercial gym.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home