Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Overcooked

This has been a day for long search strings. Someone from Morocco got to this blog with : "is 176.4 pounds considered overweight". And then someone from the United States got here with "my right shoulder hurts and is weaker then left". I don't think I was helpful to either one.

I'm blogging while grilling chicken breasts. Maybe getting the smallest grill in the store wasn't such a great idea? The problem is that I have a tiny amount of counter space, so anything larger would have been awkward. One is plain and I marinated two in some soy sauce & honey to see how they would turn out. Not that it matters; they'll turn out like chicken breasts always do - overcooked.

I've decided to do NROL's FL I as my program for the next three months. I need a change. I feel like a complete slug and totally unworthy of my old programs. It depresses me to look back in my training log and think of all the things I can't do. I've enjoyed reading about this blogger's experience with NROL, as well as this sub-forum at the JP Forums. And since I bought the book back in February 2007 - just because I liked the writing style - I may as well get my money's worth out of it.

Relative? Still in hospital. My mom? Still spending every day at her side. (And I do mean every single day.) It makes me so angry, especially since my mom is not this relative's only living relation. Relative has two financially-stable brothers and two financially-stable children, damn it, and they should be shouldering some of the load rather than just standing back and mouthing platitudes about what an angel my mom is. There's an old Middle Eastern proverb: one parent can take care of ten children, but ten children can't take care of one parent. I think about it a lot these days, usually while stuffing carbs into my mouth.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

This is how I do chicken breasts, which leads to not-overcooked a good fifty percent of the time:

marinate the hell out of them in something acidic - lime juice, hot sauce, whatever.

heat up a pan solidly hot - not so much the hottest temperature on the stove, but heated all the way through thoroughly.

Spray the breasts with a cooking spray or atomized olive oil, brown them on each side in the pan. Take them out before they're done and let them sit for a few minutes. They'll finish cooking most of the way inside.

I leave them slightly undercooked in the fridge, and then dice them up for specific meals. Another minute in a pan or the microwave finishes them off with minimum drying or toughness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home