Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Car

So I get out of work after ten+ hours to discover that someone swiped the side of my car, leaving the area above the right tire bent and rippled and covered in white paint/dust. They didn't leave a note. Considering that 1. my car is pretty much the only big ticket item I own, and 2. I love that car, I am not in a good mood right now. I'm resisting the urge to drown my sorrow in udon noodles.

Work and more work. Recreation consists of listening to the cds of the new Vach3s novel while driving to and from work (there's an audio sample at that link, go listen). I think the first time I read a Vach3s novel was in 1987, I was in high school and found Flood at the North York Public Library. It was a black paperback, with a front cover blurb from Playb0y (really) that said "revenge novel of the year". I picked it up because I liked the blurb, and because the font was small and the book was thick and as a fast reader, I wanted something that would last me a couple of days. I've bought most of the Burke novels over the years, but they are packed away in Toronto. I'm going to bring some of my books back with me when I go home to visit this year.

Good stuff elsewhere:

An interesting article at Junkfo0d Science, with Part II here.

The October rant (with vids) is up at Stumptu0us.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 PM , Blogger Crayons said...

I was at the gym tonight pretending to be you -- even though I'm 48 and 200 pounds... But I'm a former teacher, so I like reading you. I'm very sorry to hear about your car. It's just a terrible feeling when someone does a mean and thoughtless thing like that. There's just no uplifting take on it.

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

1. Sorry about the car! You've only had it a little while, it's practically brand new.

2. you're the second person to mention Flood, I'm going to put it on my list. Do you ever read the Travis McGee books by John D. MacDonald?

3. That article about the giant study. I think we've all pretty much agreed that low-fat is not the solution, so that's not big news. But they didn't mention different types of fat, so that's still unsettled (in my brain anyway).

I'm pretty much done with jumping on any nutritional bandwagons. The past two decades have shown that to be pure folly. Also, we've put responsibility for one's own health and disease prevention on the individual. Not that I'm arguing against responsibility, but when it is in fact NOT under the individual's control, it becomes a stigma and a guilt and I can't help but wonder if our medical system is doing less to treat and prevent because they feel it's not THEIR responsibility.

Arrgh.

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Caroline: Thanks for the thought. I'm trying to believe that whomever did it just didn't realize what they had done and went on their merry way.

M@rla: I think I've read all of the Travis McGee novels. A long long time ago I picked up One Fearful Yellow Eye from a box of used books, and eventually got through all the colors.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home