Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Waddling into the New Year

That would be the Jewish new year 5768, which begins tonight at sunset. I'm actually happy that I decided not to fly to Canada for the holiday because sitting on a plane with this hip would have been very painful.

To sum up: standing still and walking hurt a little. Sitting and getting up hurt more. Getting in and out of a car, or doing anything where I have to move the left leg sideways & up hurt a lot. The pain does not discriminate between side of the hip, butt and hamstring. Going up stairs hurts, going down stairs hurts less. If it doesn't feel way better by Sunday (after a few days of rest and ice) I'll call the doc for an appointment.

The good thing about injuries is that they remind you that you should have taken your fish oil and should have used that foam roller you got, instead of letting it collect dust in that corner over there.

The good thing about this injury is that I'm learning a lot more about what connects to what. Every "Oh, if I move my leg this way, the ouch moves from here to there" tells me something new. I'm frustrated that I can't do a groin stretch - you know the one with the soles of your feet together? I've never in my life had a problem doing that one, but right now my left leg will not get into that position.

If you're celebrating the New Year tonight, I hope you have a year of health & wealth (I'm a capitalist and I'm injured - can you tell?). If you aren't celebrating the New Year tonight and you're not injured... have a good training session and squat something heavy for me. :-)

3 Comments:

At 10:36 PM , Blogger Stinndler said...

Sounds to me like it could be a couple different muscles. First the prime suspects, Glute Minor/Glute Medius. http://www.painclinic.org/musclepain-backhipbuttockleg.htm
(click on the little picture thingy beside the names)
The second one I would blame would be the Tensor Fascia Lata(same link above).
Try using a tennis ball to massage the "x"'s and see where that gets you. Good luck, I've had trouble with all those muscles and I know how painful it can be.

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Stinn: thank you for that link. I think that the old injury (the one that was bothering me back in June) was Tensor Fascia Lata, and the new pain from this week is Gluteus Minimus. The red spots in the picture are exactly where the pain is. Off to find the tennis ball.

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Stinndler said...

Learning how to massage and fix yourself is, I feel, one of the most important things you can do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home