Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nine Hours

Nine hours of sleep later I'm still in pain. Less pain than yesterday, so I'm not complaining. Besides, there are people in my family with much bigger health problems than a screwed up leg.

Relative Q is still in hospital and family mood in Canada is pretty low. Her son flew to TO to be with her, but no sooner did he land than he got a cold, which means he's not allowed to see her because her immune system is so fragile. I talked to him on the phone for about an hour yesterday, commiserating about the situation and talking about fighting. He used to wrestle greco-roman competitively, so he's the only relative I have with whom I can discuss MMA without his eyes glazing over. He wrestled at superheavyweight; he and I are the two grandkids who got the maternal grandfather's propensity for weight-gain. It seems to come with an affinity for strength training, so as far as I'm concerned it was a good genetic deal. :-) When I told him about the injury, and the fact that it occurred during the warm up, he said that at our age we have to warm up in order to do the warm up. Man's got a point. :-)

Good reading:

An article about the Transtheoretical Model of Change.

A 2001 webcast by Dr. James Pr0chaska about Helping Populations Progress Through Stages of Change. Well worth the hour and fourteen minutes. I bookmarked this a long time ago and can't remember how I got to it. I think it was by googling for Dr. Prochaska's name after seeing his book "Changing for Good".

1 Comments:

At 6:59 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Ooh, that hits me where I live. "At our age..." and I'm way older than you! It's true about the warming up: in those Turbulences I do, I have to warm up for the warmup; I can't jump right into doing pushups or squats. I'm wondering if my insufficient warmups have contributed to the P.F.

Interesting article about the models of change. I noticed the "social liberation" part, using the example of "I find society changing in ways that make it easier to be a non-smoker." Definitely true - but I don't think the same holds true for healthy eating or exercise. Or is it just me that finds the world marching to a different drummer?

Best wishes for your relative.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home