Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Movie Afternoon

Half day at school today because of the eve of Sukkot. I stayed around for an hour to help a middle schooler and clear some paper from my desk, then headed to see Eastern Pr0mises at a local movie theater. The theater wasn't busy since it was a 3:15pm showing. Me and a few older couples: no talking, no cell phones going off, no idiocy.

The movie was excellent. Good drama/action movies that don't have stupid endings are a rare thing these days. I haven't seen a movie in a theater since 300, and I don't bother unless there's a reasonable chance that I will enjoy the experience enough to make up for the stupidity of fellow movie goers. I've liked Mortensen's work since G.I. Jane (egads, that was ten years ago), and Cassel's work in Brotherhood of the Wolf (six years ago, time flies), so I was reasonably confident that I'd like this film. A couple of violent moments at the beginning which I initially classified as the "by golly those special effects people have to account for every pint of blood they requisitioned" philosophy, but after a little reflection I think they were appropriate. The much discussed fight scene lived up to expectations. So, don't bother reading the reviews or looking at the imdb before you see it; there too much chance of hitting a spoiler. Just go.

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM , Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I'm definitely with you on this one ... While it wasn't quite up to par with Cronenberg's best work, it was still tremendously entertaining, and Viggo was amazing

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I find I like very few movies made in the past decade (or two). I don't really like/dislike complete genres, but I tend to be most uninterested in romantic comedies and most disappointed in action movies. I'm not a big special effects person.

Favorite movies of all time: Young Frankenstein, Blade Runner, original Indiana Jones, To Have and Have Not. The first three are all from about the same time period, so I'm dating myself...

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_AmundsonGIJane.mov

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home