Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Limping

Last weekend I had the bright idea to try out a martial arts class, Krav Maga, to be exact. A local school has an intro class once per month, and paying for that class gets you a free week of classes thereafter. I enjoyed the intro, although not enough to write them a check on the spot, but decided to come back this week for the free classes and see if I like it enough to continue.

Just before the class I was standing in the front desk area, and someone asked me if I was sure I wanted to do this. "No," I said, "But that hasn't stopped me before. What's the worst that could happen?" (Yes, those words came out of my mouth. Insert obligatory remark about tempting fate here.)

We started, as so many MA classes do, by running around in a circle. I could feel my left leg beginning to get tight. But did I stop? Nope, I'm too vain for that. So I kept going. Then the instructor told us to do side steps, then drop and do pushups, then sit ups, then get up again. So I did, and when the running around re-started, I could feel the leg getting even tighter. But I continued. And then he asked us to do walking lunges.

So I lunged, except I don't think you can call it a lunge if you only go down and don't manage to come up again because your left leg refuses to support you in your stupidity any longer.

And that's the sorry tale of how, five minutes into the class, I limped out of it in pain. I spent the next half an hour gingerly trying to walk upright and gently stretch things without the shooting pain returning.

Limited success, but I did finally limp out to the car (which, thank god, is not a stick shift) and looked damn funny trying to get into it. Not before I asked the owner if we can move my intro week to next week. He said yes, and I told him that if I wake up tomorrow and the pain is gone, I'll come back tomorrow. At the moment, sitting at home and wondering how much extra time I should allot to getting dressed in the morning, I don't think I'll get back to the MA place before next week.

So what is it? I have no idea and I'm too tired to research tonight. Pulled muscle? Screwed up ITB? All I know right now is that the pain is on the side and back of my left leg and hip, and that I can't raise my knee to my chest while standing or pull my heel to my butt.

Moral of the story? If your body tells you to slow down, don't be an idiot and keep pushing. And if you have a choice between a nice pleasant night of deadlifts and a martial arts exploration... well, you can figure that one out for yourself.

3 Comments:

At 10:56 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Ouch. Sounds like it was just unfortunate timing. I can't imagine anything you did in the MA class tweaked it; just exposed the problem.

Incidentally, Krav Maga looks very interesting. Hope you're right before the free classes start.

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Dang! This is the kind of thing that reinforces my belief that every time I step outside my house something bad happens ;-)

(it doesn't really, but I had a period of several weeks a few years ago that seemed to prove the theory)

You will probably find this before I do, but there's a hip/leg pain description on Cool Running that might be illuminating.

At any rate, hope it's better soon. If not we can commiserate long distance as I sit around whining about my heel.

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Scott - I think that if only I had stopped as soon as the pain started... but that's neither here nor there. Oh well, nothing like muscle/joint issues to remind one to take fish oil again.

M@rla - thanks! I got some good stretching ideas from that link.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home