Sunday, July 01, 2007

Leaves, Branches and Trees

Stressing while counting down to the trip. Said stress is reflected in my nutritional choices, which are subsequently reflected in my skin. I could play connect the dots on my face right now. I need to clean the house, remove perishables from the fridge, get travelers checks, pack...

Met colleague this morning at Gym Two for another session. Not a useful gym visit for me on the training side. If I'm showing someone else how to use the weights or explaining why one should not structure a leg workout around the adductor machine, I can't get my own training session done. However, it was useful on the instructing/explaining side. It's good to articulate why and how I do things and I get to pay forward the help I've gotten from other people.

Gym Two had the usual assortment of characters: the bicep curling teenager with three variations of curls, no less; pair of older gentlemen doing bench and more bench in between discussions of cocktails in Cancun; and, the skinny guy with the weight belt grunting under a 95lb bench press. Can't beat this gym for sheer entertainment value. :-)

Gym One is rather empty these days due to lots of people on vacation (I hope). I'm sufficiently concerned about its financial viability that I feel uncomfortable asking them to freeze my membership for the month I'm going to be away. I do not like training in an empty gym. It's so much easier for me, psychologically, when there are other people around. I wish I had a training partner. First thing I'll do when I come back from my trip is post a little sign at both gyms looking for one.
"Acerbic Canadian seeks hard working and focused training partner who can squat below parallel without a Smith Machine. Must promise to never upright row my bench presses. Power cage bicep curlers need not apply."
Needs work. I'll get on it in August. :-)

And since I'm on the subject of procrastination, in this post by IATGN she points to this article about OCPD. I printed it out last week and still haven't finished reading and highlighting. Very very hard for me to read. Particularly this line:
An extremely difficult time making decisions (always looking for the correct choice) contributes to procrastination. Frequently even starting a task seems impossible, due to a need to sort out the priorities correctly.
Seven months to choose a new gym? Check. Five hours creating the perfect twenty minute classroom activity? Check. Stumbling through my academic career paralyzed by indecision? Check. Agreeing to write articles for a great web site and deleting everything I write before uploading because nothing measures up? Check. And this line perfectly describes my twenty+ obese years and their aftermath: "The forest is missed while examining each leaf, of each branch, of each tree."

4 Comments:

At 10:55 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

I also found too many parallels in OCPD. Disturbing, but possibly too fortuitous. Similar to a horoscope, one tends to see one's self in it, no matter how truly relevant. Especially the part about making decisions. Dilemma.

I wish I could be your training partner, it certainly helps to have a team member.

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Mich said...

M@rla, regarding "possibly too fortuitous", are you familiar with Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat? This is from the first chapter:

"I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch - hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book, and read all I came to read; and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves, and began to indolently study diseases, generally. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into - some fearful, devastating scourge, I know - and, before I had glanced half down the list of "premonitory symptoms," it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

I sat for awhile, frozen with horror; and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever - read the symptoms - discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it - wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus's Dance - found, as I expected, that I had that too, - began to get interested in my case, and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically - read up ague, and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright's disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid's knee.
"

I like his doctor's solution, too. :D

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Heh. I don't know Three Men in a Boat, but I like the excerpt.

When I read that OCPD thing, I felt that I recognized a lot of it, that it really seemed like me. But on a second, closer, reading, I realized that I often FEEL like that, but rarely BEHAVE like that. For me, that's the line of demarcation, the reality check.

I think that's why "self-help" books are perennially popular; the authors are gifted at describing vividly certain common human experiences, but making them seem unique to the reader. Or making them seem a problem to be solved, when sometimes that's just the nature of life, or the nature of being a human.

But, you know, YOU can have OCPD -- I just know I don't have it, although I sort of want to. I love a diagnosis that explains everything that's wrong with my brain...

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Ouch. That cuts a little close for me too (although I'm nowhere near as bad as I was a few years ago).

One main thing that's helped - I now view myself as a 'content producer', and force myself to write voluminous amounts daily. The quality eventually comes along for the ride when the quantity is there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home