Thursday, July 05, 2007

Laundry

More medical tests today and four loads of laundry.

The hot dog eating contest that was on the news this week reminded me of my all time favourite short story, Damon Runy0n's "A Piece of Pie": audio files of an abridged radio version here, but the full written version is much better. I was eleven when I first read it. The story describes an eating contest with a female contestant.It was the first time I had ever encountered a large - she is described as having a face like a town clock - vibrant, female literary character that ate a lot with unabashed pleasure, Miss Violette Shumberger. She also gets the man (although I didn't notice that when I was eleven). I can't think of any other such character in literature.

Good reading elsewhere:

Since I've had multiple interactions with health care providers this week the subject is still top of mind. Junkfo0d Science drills down into health insurance numbers and Asymetrical Informati0n ponders a plan and also points to this commentary, where I found this quote: "...nobody, here or in other countries, wants real insurance. Instead, everybody's idea of health coverage is to be insulated from costs." I've been thinking about this a lot lately. What percentage of my income is my health worth to me?

The Agitator on school nutrition programs.

VDH on rising food prices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home