Monday, July 23, 2007

Echoes of TurkeyGuy

Remember TurkeyGuy? (Jerusalem TG, Kansas TG) He's long gone, but fear not, there's a new incarnation of him at the gym. I'm calling this one HelpfulGuy. He must have joined in the past year, either that or he never trained at the same time I did. Last week he kept coming over to "help". He asked me twice if what I was doing (abs, usually) doesn't hurt, and wouldn't it be better to do it a different way. Then he points out the incline board and tells me I should do abs on that. I told him that that was not the exercise that man-in-charge wrote down for me. Then he tried removing weights from my bar, and I just looked at him and said, "no help". Friday was funnier that the rest of the days, because he was benching while I was doing the aforementioned deadlifts, and from the corner of my eye I could see the wheels in his head turning. Dingbat.

I'm feeling civic, so here are my Simple Rules for TurkeyGuys:

1. Do not remove weights from the bar for me. If I loaded it on the bar, I can take it off the bar.
2. Do not put weights on the bar for me. If I couldn't load it, how the heck would I lift it?
(Exception to #1 and #2: if we are sharing the rack, then obviously for reasons of speed and efficiency we'd be loading and unloading each other's weights. Except that TurkeyGuys, on the whole, don't offer or ask to work in.)
3. If we've been training at the same gym for less than six months, &/or I've never seen you do a leg exercise of any sort, don't offer me advice.
4. "Doesn't it hurt?" is a stupid question.
5. If you are using deadlift straps, do not leave them on for your entire workout. You look like a little girl's tricycle, with all sorts of ribbons waving from it.

4 Comments:

At 5:28 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

What an ass.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Meant to ask: do you use deadlift straps? What is your philosophy on grip aids? I'm considering straps for deadlift and also for those inverted rows; I find that my grip is one of the biggest obstacles. I looked up deadlift straps and have found discussion of them and found photos of them in catalogs, but I can't figure out where they go.

p.s. I am finally doing squats with the bar on my shoulders, more or less, and I am SO EXCITED.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger Mich said...

M@rla: First of all, congratulations on the squats. :-)

I don't use deadlift straps or grip aids of any sort. I would try grip work first before you go for straps. See Sullivan's Massive Forearms Strong Grip for a good explanation of the different types of grip strength, as well as Waterbury's Old School Grip Training for ideas. This page has a summary of exercises, and there are also Brookfield's Grip Tips at Ironmind.

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger brent said...

tried to remove weight from your bar are you kidding me

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home