Sunday, June 03, 2007

TPS EFS Seminar: Part II

As noted below, the first part of the seminar was an informal Q&A. To get the most out of this set-up, you (the seminar attendee) have to actually open your mouth and ask a question. I asked two; one about leaving an amazing training environment and preparing to work alone, and one about squat depth. If I attend this format again I'll write my questions a day before. Strangely enough, several people asked no questions, but just sat and listened. Not sure why anyone would just sit there and not ask questions, unless all their questions were being answered as the discussion flowed. I was scribbling notes throughout and I'm sure I didn't get everything down.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the morning session, chosen because they made me think or struck me as particularly relevant to my situation. I didn't tape anything, just wrote them down as I heard them, so any misquotes are my fault. I'm going to start with Kroczaleski quotes. The bolded ones are the ones that resonated with me the most.

On training
- "Be self-critical: where am I weak? what mistakes am I making?"
- "Every day you step in the gym should be the best you've ever had."
- "If you're going to coast through, why do it?"
- "Training doesn't take that much time."
- "When you try something new, try it for eight weeks, really hard.
On meets
- "If you haven't done one, get in there."
- "Your opener doesn't mean shit. It's something you should be able to do sick or dead."
- "Don't think about what your competitors are doing until the 2nd deadlift."
On comparisons:
- "Numbers don't mean nuthin'; it's just weight."
- "Right now you're stronger than some people and weaker than others. So am I."**
**I heard some guys gasp when he said this. Recall that this man has squatted 970, benched 661 and deadlifted 783 for a 2414 total in the 220 weight class. To quote G.K.Chesterton: "It is always the secure who are humble."

On deloading
- "If you deload and you get stronger, then you're doing it right. If you deload and you get weaker then you're lazy."

On injuries and coming back
- "Competitive athletics is not healthy."
- "90% of the people docs deal with are lazy couch potatoes."

More quotes tomorrow. I've typed everything, it's my html fiddling that's holding things up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home