Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Talking to Myself

Q: So, self, when did you make the most progress in your strength and fitness?
A: When I was training hard in the gym and letting my anticipation of the training drive my food choices.

Q: So why are you suddenly tracking food and being pedantic about grams and kcals?
A: Because I'm going to visit my old gym in a month and I am stressed about walking in there weaker than when I left. This is known as "clutching at straws".

Q: Ok, so don't go back. Skulk around Jerusalem for a month while avoiding the gym. Duck behind a tree if you see anyone from the gym.
A: Are you &%$&*#@ kidding me? I love that gym.

Q: Well then, perhaps more focus on training and less on nutrition labels?
A: I hate it when you're right.

4 Comments:

At 5:59 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

When I put pressure on myself to achieve by a certain date or event, it usually hoses me. For some people it motivates them.

I understand your feeling about going back to the gym. But... you have a month to do the best you can. And even if you go in less strong than you left, I know everyone will be so thrilled to see you that it won't be important to them. It will probably give them some satisfaction that theirs is the best gym!

Don't skulk and avoid, they would be so disappointed to not see you.

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger Mich said...

M@rla: I may not have phrased it well. The only thing I am sure of at this point is that I am going back to that gym the day I land regardless of how I feel/look etc. :-)

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Oh good, I'm glad!

I'm interested in your program. You know I am in the middle of Turbulence, but I have my eye out for the next thing. I was looking at this post, is that still a good description of what you're doing? And how are you getting along without Man in Charge to tell you what to do on the next set?

We're building a combo squat rack and pullup bar in the garage, and I'm hoping for a bench for my birthday (what a romantic present!) so I can finally start to lift heavy. I'm not lifting LIGHT right now (DL 90 lbs) but not anywhere near my capacity either.

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Mich said...

On the whole, yes. I've gone back to some of the earlier programs he designed for me and made some modifications because of equipment the gyms don't have. I'm still doing four days, still supersetting with abwork or cardio minutes, etc.

As for choosing weights, I asked MIC about this before I left: assuming you maintain form, you increase/drop between 1.25%-7% depending on the exercise, and never compromise technique for added weight.

A bench sounds like an ideal birthday present to me, if the assembly is included. :D

Make sure that you have something that lets you start the pull ups at the top of the movement so you can do negative pull ups: a tall enough bench or mini step ladder, for example.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home