Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rest Day

No workout at Gym Two last night. 15 minutes on the rower, then I spent the next hour and a half showing my colleague how to use the weights. I enjoyed it very much; it's just another type of teaching, really. I will start studying for a personal training cert (I'm thinking CSCS) once I get back from my trip. Never hurts to have another piece of paper on one's wall. :-)

No training today. I got the list of classes I'm teaching next year. I will have grades 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12 which is a nice combination. Met one colleague for lunch, then met another colleague for a study session this evening. We looked at Avot, which is a collection of sayings by various sages from the Mishnaic period (around 70-200CE).

There's this M00re documentary film about US health care opening tomorrow... If you're going to see it, I suggest this short film about the Canadian health care system as a reality check. And if you have extra time, read this summary of the Cha0ulli case.

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

I wasn't planning on seeing the film for several reasons:

1. Michael M00re drives me batshit, he's so annoying and biased and theatrical.

2. However we share very similar political views so he's unlikely to say anything new to me.

One of the comments or criticisms I heard about the film was that it overrated the Canadian and UK health systems. Do you have enough experience yet with US medical insurance to make a comparison? I have wondered if cases like Cha0ulli are notorious exceptions to another otherwise workable system, whereas common industry practice in the US is scandalous. There is simply no doubt that insurance companies are in the business of denying medical claims, not facilitating them in any way.

I think the certification is a great idea. You are so close to it already.

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Mich said...

I don't have enough experience with the US system (thank god) to comment, so I can only talk about the systems I've experienced thus far, the Canadian and the Israeli. I'm uncomfortable when people portray the Canadian system as perfect or as the ideal that the United States should aspire to; it's not that simple. I am seeing an American doctor next week, and I'm planning to blog about the experience. :-)

As one of my fave b-day wishes says, may you always have enough money to pay for health insurance and never have to use any of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home