Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Cost of Holidays

Not the financial and opportunity costs; I'm fine with spending the $250 flying to and from Canada and using up five days of my spring break. I mean the emotional and health cost. There's just too much baggage that I associate with holidays, created by twenty odd years of being the fattest person at the table. It's also amazing to me that I still carry this baggage with me like some Jewish version of Marley's ghost. I've been back in Kansas since last Thursday night and my sleep pattern is still messed up, my nutrition sloppy, my exercise underwhelming and my skin showing the effects of all the above. I am not doing this holiday jaunt again.

Back to work tomorrow, thank God. Back to order and routine and standards and having a huge lunch box full of healthy stuff. I just came back from the supermarket with spinach, both fresh and frozen, cottage cheese, green peppers, bananas and fresh pineapple. I went back to the frozen spinach because I plan to attempt the JB spinach souffle. I was going to do it tonight and then remembered that I don't own a casserole dish.

I finally have internet access at home. It's about time, and it means no more heading out to free wi-fi food establishments.

The Concept II materials (technique dvd and training guide) arrived today. I'm looking forward to watching it and implementing rowing as my regular interval cardio activity.

Good reading:

New Cosgrove article in T-Nation about fat loss hierarchy. The discussion thread is here.

Lidd3ll's regimen in SI.

An article about staying honest at Stumptuous.

4 Comments:

At 12:03 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I'd love a Concept II at home. The main problem is a lack of space (not to mention the fact that they aren't cheap). Have you got one there or is there one in your local gym?

 
At 12:10 AM , Blogger Mich said...

My 2nd gym has five of them, and they are nearly always free...
If I make it my primary cardio, and if the next 12 weeks are what I want them to be, I'll seriously consider getting one for home. The Model D is $850, which is cheaper than buying living/dining room furniture and (imho) more useful than either.

 
At 4:56 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

so if i visit, i have to eat on the rowing machine. hm...

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

My first question in the Cosgrove article was the difference between anaerobic and aerobic high intensity training. Not so much a definition, but examples. That was the very first question asked in the discussion - there were several attempts at describing the difference, but I wish Cosgrove had answered himself.

I've been coincidentally following this hierarchy very closely. Weights, HIIT, glider sprints. Then yardwork and housework. Walking if I have time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home