Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pushups in Class

No, not the students. Me.

We were a few students short this morning, as a couple of the boys are away for a basketball tournament, so my 2nd period class was mostly female. I'm not sure how the subject came up, but just at the beginning of the class we got onto the subject of pushups, with me saying emphatically that there's no such thing as "girl pushups"; there are only "pushups" and "modified pushups" and I don't care if the person doing them is a girl or not. One of the students decided to show me what she meant by "girl pushups" and the others chimed in, saying that they can't do a single one. Eventually they wanted me to do some, so I took off my shoes, (can't do pushups in pumps), got down on the floor and did four or five, nose to carpet. Thank goodness I wasn't wearing a skirt today. Now all I have to figure out is how to get the non-pushup crowd to do them...

In-service day tomorrow, and when it is done I am going to go home and sleep for 15 hours. Days have been so long this week, and Monday is parent-teacher conferences.

Speaking of basketball, there's a co-ed faculty-seniors basketball game at the end of the month. I intend to play, but not having played since my age was in single digits, I have no idea what I'm doing. So, I've asked one of my colleagues to give me some pointers. We've tentatively agreed to meet on Sunday morning at the gym. Then I can spend mornings between now and the game practicing. I realize that one cannot become a competent player in two weeks, but at least I won't make a complete fool out of myself. Another colleague told me that the two biggest mistakes inexperienced desk-slug teachers make is not paying attention and then either passing the ball to a student by mistake or travelling with the ball, and if I avoid those two I'll be fine.

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger BethK said...

Do they respond to the lure of extra credit? One point tacked onto their next quiz/test score for each push-up (modified or not) they can do?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home