Friday, February 23, 2007

Another Sport

I've always thought Canadian gun control laws were ridiculous. Don't get me started on the $1 billion we spent on a useless national gun registry... I'd always planned to get some shooting instruction if I ever had the chance to live in the US, but after I moved I had so many things on my to-do list that I didn't get around to it. Then these stupid signs started appearing. Every time I went to the local library or to Gym Two I saw them on the door and got annoyed all over again. The annoyance was such that it motivated me to sign up for an NRA FIRST Steps class at a local range. FIRST stands for Firearm Instruction, Responsibility and Safety Training.

The class was this week and it was great. I had my laptop with me and I took notes the entire time we were in the classroom. The range time was lots of fun even though it was very cold. I had come straight from work so I was in a skirt and pumps and my legs were freezing, but I think the cold improved my concentration. The instructor of the class was a woman and all the students were women except one. At one point when we were all on the range the instructor addressed us as "Ladies", and the guy piped up from his booth "And gentleman!". :-) I can't say enough good things about the experience, and I highly recommend it. The instructor was extremely knowledgeable - she's 52 and has been shooting since she was 8 years old - and she had a good sense of humour as well. I can't wait to go back and practice what we learned. The range has "ladies night" one night a week where women can come shoot with no range fees. Now that I think of it, I can't see myself going to a ladies' night at a bar, but I can see myself going to a ladies' night at a range...

I now have another reason to improve my grip strength and pay attention to my brachialis and brachioradialis muscles, which are not among my strong points. I can also see that this is going to do good things for my concentration and focus. I just have to remember to wear layers.

3 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger BethK said...

It pains me to no end to say this... But guns are kinda fun! Target shooting is fun. Trying out all kinds of different firearms is fun, too. That's funny about the "Ladies Night"

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I don't understand what the "stupid signs" are from that link - am I just looking in the wrong place?

Anyway, good for you, taking the class. A lot of people just go out and get themselves a gun without any training at all.

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Duh, okay I found it - I was looking for a photo, I guess.

In the state where I live, we can get concealed carry permits, after a background check and required training. When that first came out, a lot of place started putting up "no gun" signs, but I don't see them so much anymore. Perhaps when the anticipated bloodbath didn't occur, merchants decided it wasn't such a big deal.

I have some mixed opinions about guns and private ownership, concealed weapons, gun registries, the whole mess. But something that always occurs to me, every time I see on the news that a bunch of innocent people were killed in a robbery - what if a customer in that store, or several customers, had weapons with them? There might have been a different outcome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home