Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wannabe

Basketball won out over Brahms, and I went to the games rather than the symphony. The snow that started falling in midafternoon helped me decide in favor of the basketball. I could see myself driving through the snow to see my students play, but not to listen to some orchestra. I enjoyed both games very much; it helped that both the boys' and girls' teams won. I printed out three old articles (Exercise Myths 1 & 2by Cressey from 2005 and Top 10 Deadlifting Mistakes by Tate from 2002) and brought them with me so I could get some reading done between quarters and between games. There are games on Monday and Tuesday of this week also, but Monday I work late and Tuesday is a training night.

I continued to screw up my sleeping schedule: I got home from the games and I had no desire to go to sleep. So I watched Aliens on my laptop. (I got both Alien and Aliens from the library earlier this week; the latter is 21 years old...) I love that scene about 30 minutes in, after the Marines wake up from the cryosleep, and Vasquez is doing pullups, whereupon one of her comrades asks her if she's ever been mistaken for a man, she says "No, have you?". People always talk about the pullup scene in T2, another Cameron film, but I prefer this one. Finally fell asleep around 2am. Woke up at 8am which is a stupid thing to do when trying to get into the habit of waking up at 5am and going to sleep no later than 10pm.

No gym today. I am working on lesson plans, cleaning, doing laundry, doing what Marla calls shop'n'chop (tm), and also having a conference call with some of my former classmates.

I'm thinking about granola bars, which I've decided to not eat anymore. (160 days, only 160 days, is my continuing refrain right now, and I can do without them for 160 day and hopefully forever). Over the last few months I've had these and those in my desk drawer at work, mainly for my students, because these are the only bars I could find with kosher certifciation and without hydrogenated oils and HFCS. But I can't have them around me anymore (the bars, obviously, not my students).

It's stupid, really. Either I get serious and finish the project and become the athlete I should be, or I close the blog down and settle for being the no-longer-obese-but-still-overweight-wannabe who didn't have the fortitude to get serious about her nutritional choices.

3 Comments:

At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. No, sorry, you are not allowed to stop blogging, granola bars notwithstanding. End of story.

2. I love that scene in Aliens too, her come-back always cracks me up.

3. Thanks for the Cressey links, good stuff, especially about the squats. That not-more-than-parallel section was worth it, alone.

 
At 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is something else I thought of, unrelated to his post:

Why don't you look around for Regency House Party and see if you can rent it on DVD? (I got it from Netflix). I know you like the Georgette Heyer novels, and every time I read one now I think about that show - the historically accurate parts, anyway.

 
At 6:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS post, not HIS post.

Now I am trying to set a record for comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home