Saturday, January 20, 2007

Squats and an Unexpected Quote

Woke up late this morning. I had intended to wake up at 5:30am and be at the gym by 7am, but I didn't actually stumble out of my house until 7:30am or so. As a result, when I got to the gym I was an hour and a half behind on my day. Decided to do something rather than nothing, so did the squats that I couldn't do yesterday, concentrating on narrowing my stance a bit, pointing the toes more forward, and controlling the path of the right knee. Depth was good and they felt very smooth and easy.
6 x 55 lbs / 24.9Kg
6 x 85 lbs / 38.6 Kg
8 x 105 lbs / 47.6 Kg
8 x 95 lbs / 40.8 kg
8 x 75 lbs / 34 Kg
12 x 55 lbs / 24.9 Kg

Music was lousy. I need to get an mp3 player. My circa 1998 cd player is no longer working.

There are just over 160 days left till July 1, 2007, which I've arbitrarily established as the day I'll go back into the gym in Jerusalem. Scary thought, but I feel better having a definite time period in mind. I wonder what I can accomplish in 160 days (or 22.8 weeks, if you prefer).

The gym I currently train at has a spa right next door. The gym and the spa share a front desk, which makes it easy to schedule aesthetic services right after workouts. Like all spas, they have silly women's magazines in the waiting area. During my last visit they had the Feb 07 issue of InStyl3 magazine, which I never buy because it seems to be all about envy, inadequacy and underfed celebrities in peculiar clothes. I'm not above flipping through it while my nails dry, however, which is how I discovered, on page 253, an article called "Jumpstart Your Workout". One of the profiles was of singer LeAnn Rim3s. And there on page 257 was the following quote:
"My workout goal is to get stronger. Lifting helped me break through many yoga plateaus. I just benched my body weight, which I'm proud to say is 120 pounds."
Well, then. Kudos to Ms Rimes. The state of women's magazines being what it is, it is not surpising that all the pictures included in the article had her in yoga poses, with nary a free weight in sight... but maybe in a few years the powers-that-be at that magazine will wake up. For now, the quote is a good first step, however tiny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home