Saturday, January 13, 2007

Reality Check: The Numbers

More freezing rain and sleet. When I got home last night I was thinking of this poem by Canadian poet Archibald Lampman. I first read it when I was in 6th grade and I always think of it when winter comes.

The weather made for an empty gym this morning. I'm not complaining. As soon as the two people who were there when I arrived finished their workouts and left I changed the radio station to heavy rock. I did lying cable rows, squats, and single leg split squats with the back leg on a bench.

I promised to post the numbers, and here they are. I've included the July numbers to illustrate the pathetic-ness of the current numbers and to preclude anyone who's recently arrived to this page telling me that the current numbers are any good. As that song from the Buffy musical episode says: "I want the fire back".

Thursday's Flat BP
6 x 45 lbs / 20 Kg
6 x 65 lbs / 29.5 Kg
10 x 85 lbs / 38.6 Kg (July 2006 was 110.2 lbs / 50 Kg )
10 x 80 lbs / 36.3 Kg
10 x 75 lbs / 34 Kg
12 x 45 lbs / 20 Kg

Saturday's squats
6 x 50 lbs / 22.7 Kg
6 x 80 lbs / 36.3 Kg
10 x 100 lbs / 45.4 Kg (July 2006 was 70 Kg / 154.3 lbs )
10 x 90 lbs / 40.8 kg
10 x 80 lbs / 36.3 Kg
12 x 50 lbs / 22.7 Kg

Last night I leafed idly through my old issues of Men’s Health. The Nov 2006 issue features a back workout by someone named Myatt Murphy. Deads, pull-ups, inverted rows; all good things. There’s also an inset box with interesting number tidbits. For example: "971 - most weight in lbs deadlifted in competition by Andy Bolton in 2006". That’s out of date. I have the Dec 06 PLUSA issue and he’s on the cover with a 1003lb deadlift. Another tidbit: "29 – percentage of guys who have never performed a deadlift". Oh lovely, there shrinks the available marriage pool. I'm not even going to contemplate the percentage of Jewish guys who have never performed a deadlift. :-)

1 Comments:

At 9:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your stats suck!

Heh. You know I'm teasing you, but I see what you mean. Well, you'll get back to July's numbers eventually and then surpass them.

I wonder, do you ever read Women's Health? I like Men's Health for the workout info and I just assumed the female analogue would be full of nail polish articles, so I never bothered. But really I have no idea if it's a good magazine or awful. I'm not impressed with what I see on their website - they use the word "tone" in the Fitness section, and the women are shown using tiny weights.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home