Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Five

Yesterday was frustrating, workwise. Today was better. Nutrition was better also. I made a 5x1 omelette this morning and took it with me for meal #2, and then for meal 4 (5?) I had a 1/2 cup of oats and a cup of frozen mixed berries. Well, they were frozen when I left the house. By the time I ate them in the afternoon they were no longer frozen. My initial plan was to add water to the oats and cook them in the teachers' lounge microwave, but I decided to put the berries on the oats and eat them raw. It wasn't bad, but cooked oats have a more pleasant texture.

I got to the gym and it was busy but not crowded. I had the rack to myself which is the most important thing. Ended up doing front squats because I read the January Q of S at T-Nation last night and they looked like fun. Looking at the pics again I don't think I've got the bar placement quite right. Next time. After the front squats I did suitcase deads and then seated rows.

I walked into the gym and the young lady at the desk asked me how I was. I told her I felt good and happy to be in the gym. She said that most people tell her how horrible it is and how difficult it is. I told her she should tell them to go home and sit in front of the tv instead. I don't really think she should say that, obviously. It was a visceral response on my part, reacting to the way I've felt since January started. I've been excited about training but also suddenly apprehensive scared. The stupid sort of scared - what if I can't do it anymore, what if I'll never get back to the strength levels I had in July 2006, what if what if what if... The only cure for that is to get back in the gym and just slog through the workout, really, and then slog through another one and another one until the stupid feeling goes away. Which is why this week of consistency is so important to me.

There were a few newbies in the gym. A mother and daughter pair working with a personal trainer, a larger lady going through her workout looking very determined. I should have said something nice to her but I was so wrapped up in my own issues. Next time I see her.

3 Comments:

At 8:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate how it feels trying to get BACK to a previous level. I don't feel any of the accomplishment of the first time around, just frustration and guilt. Very counter-productive. Running has been hard for me recently because I have this weird sense of not wanting to do it until I can do it well. It's so disappointing to go out and run half of what I ran 4 weeks ago. I have to keep reminding myself that the way to run is to... run. As you say, the only cure is to get back in the gym and work out, again and again and again.

I saw an interesting article on deadlifts - it has tons of photos, but the thing that really caught my eye is a Side Deadlift near the end of the page - I've never seen that before!

So many varied and wonderful ways to put ourselves in pain...

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Mich said...

M@rla - Great article, thanks! And that side thing is what I meant by suitcase deadlift. It's a hoot - even if you grab it properly in the centre, the bar still wants to oscillate...

 
At 4:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never realized that was a suitcase deadlift, although it seems very obvious now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home