Friday, December 29, 2006

No Guests

I was supposed to have guests from Washington DC this week but they cancelled because they couldn't find an affordable flight. I'm disappointed that they didn't get to visit and I didn't get to show off Kansas City, but I told them they're welcome any time. Maybe by the time they reschedule I'll have more furniture...

UFC 66 tomorrow night; there are now three (yay!) places showing it reasonably close to me. H00ters, Buffal0 Wild Wings and the F0x and H0und. Not sure which one I will go to but I'm tending towards the latter. Speaking of MMA, back in July T-Nation began a semi-regular series called MMA Talk: here are the installments thus far, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6. Makes for interesting reading, especially the parts about up and coming fighters.

I am actually interested in the rest of the card, not just the main event. I was reading through the event web site and discovered that one of the fighters on tomorrow night's card is a Canadian :-) (insert boisterous singing of O Canada here) named Jason MacDonald. He's fighting someone named Chris Leben, who is apparently famous for being on a TV show in 2005. Since I don't own a TV this doesn't tell me much. For the record, I don't have anything against TVs. But I know that if I got one I would spend a ridiculous amount of time in front of it. I have too much to do to throw away time like that. Besides, I am amused by the shocked expression on the faces of my students when they find out I don't own a tv. :-) My 6th and 7th graders are especially flabbergasted by the idea.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the same experience regarding not having a TV when teaching 5th and 6th graders. Their eyes roll around in mysterious ways, but somehow they still always ask if I saw the latest movie shown at some ungodly hour when kids that age should be asleep.

We do have a small old TV, but it usually lives in the closet most of the year. Like you, there is no principal decision behind this per se, it's just... well, the way gravity works in our home? I tend to think that this is also good for our 2-year old son, bet he'll ask for it when he really wants to join the Teletubbies clan. For now, we read plenty of books instead.

In August, Finland will skip all analog transmission, so that will be the definitive end of our extremely limited TV-life... until we follow everyone else in buying the digital decoder box or get one of those 40" flat screens. Yeah, right.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Kris - My students do that too. I've had the following conversation several times:
Student: Ms Q, did you see program XYZ?
Me: On what TV?
Student: *either blank look or realisation*
Student #2: She doesn't have one.

Once analog transmission ends, the tv can be used as a new lifting object. Barbell, dumbbell, sandbag, atlas stone, tv...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home