Saturday, December 02, 2006

Full Disclosure And Three Serious Workouts

Full disclosure: If you go to the post entitled "Snow Days Are Less Useful When You Have No Laptop", you will notice that I changed the word "thermos" to a link. Why? Because the company which owns that web site e-mailed me out of the blue and offered me a product of my choice if I'd link that word to their site. So I e-mailed them back and said that I have no problem doing so, but that I would have to let my readers know that I had done so in exchange for a product. If you're curious, this is what I chose. (Sidenote to P.: Bet you thought I'd pick this. :-) ) Apparently I'm not the only one who's received this offer: see here. As a former Business Analyst who used to be part of a marketing team in two different companies (before I changed careers and went into teaching), I like the fact that they are actively doing something about their search engine rankings. As a blogger, I must say I never expected to receive such an offer, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Friday really was a snow day. That snowstorm that hit the midwest came to visit. On Thursday night the person above me on the calling tree called to advise that we would not have school today. The funny thing is, when I told people I was moving to Kansas everyone warned me about tornadoes; no one mentioned either snow or ice storms.

So, two snow days plus a weekend equal three good workouts in a row. Thursday was Day I Chest and Friday was Day II Back, and Saturday morning was Day III Quads. This is the first time I've done three serious sessions back to back since I started at the new gym. It felt good. But various parts of me are sore. Thursday and Friday the gym was quiet, just a trainer or two and their respective clients. Oh, and one guy who was good looking for about 30 seconds; then he went to the Smith machine (good looking quotient drops) and started doing quarter squats (good looking quotient vanishes).

I went to the library and got two books about teaching as well as a couple of cds. When the hard drive died my music collection went with it. Most of my cds are back in Canada, so even when I get the computer repaired I won't be able to restore the music. After the gym I went to the local hardware store and bought a wooden dowel with which to practice the power cleans. Also got windshield washer fluid. THe roads are slushy and visibility drops so quickly.

Get thee to T-Nation and read this delightful Dan John article about "secret" coaching methods. I laughed out loud when I read this part:
If I follow Alwyn's workout and you ask me "why?" I answer, "Alwyn said so." When Dick Notmeyer coached me, the answer was the same: "Coach said so."
"Said so" is genius. It completely divorces you — and I mean completely — from any responsibility for your training. Why seven sets of four? Coach said so. Why fish oil? Coach said so. It's an amazing moment of clarity: you can pawn off all your responsibility to someone else. It's genius.
Obviously this reminded me of my time in Jerusalem. The main reason that I made the gains I did is that I trusted the programs that man-in-charge created for me and I followed them to the letter. Now I have to bring that same focus to my own programs here in Kansas (which are modified slightly because there are some parts of the Jerusalem gym I can't duplicate here) and simply follow through, trusting that the gains will come.

3 Comments:

At 3:51 PM , Anonymous dg said...

that was a brilliant article, cheers for the link! and enjoy your new beverage warming vessel! ;)

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

How nice! Do you think if I wrote longingly about a Jaguar, I might be offered a similar deal? Just so Jaguar knows, I would be glad to link to them!

BTW, that was great that you bought two ice scrapers. I firmly believe that small goodnesses more than displace their weight of badnessess in the world. Ug, that wasn't phrased very elegantly, but I think you know what I meant.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Mich said...

dg - thanks! I'll post a pic of it when it arrives. I'm thinking it will be the perfect size to take green tea to basketball games.

m@rla - yup. And the person who lent me the scraper is getting it back with chocolate attached. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home