Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy American Thanksgiving

Does anyone in the US read blogs during Thanksgiving?

Good gym session last night, chest work and heavy bag work. There was another woman in the studio part of the gym where the heavy bag hangs; she was doing mat exercises from an instructional sheet. I was worried that she would be bothered by the noise of me hitting the bag, but she was unperturbed. I booked an appointment with the owner for next Tuesday to do a body fat assessment (yes, I will eventually buy myself a set of calipers, but not this month) and to learn how to do a power clean.

No gym today; it was only open from 5am to noon. I was up too late last night to make it in by 5am, and work ended at noon today, although I stayed at work for an hour and a half longer to finish some stuff. I will probably go into work on at least one day of this long weekend, because I want to return to work on Monday with no grading left to do. There's not much time left until winter break, and I have a lot I want to accomplish by then.

One of my colleagues invited me to his house for Thanksgiving Dinner. I am looking forward to it. My first experience of American Thanksgiving was last year in Jerusalem, and I've decided I like this holiday. I had hoped to bring some icewine as a hostess gift, but not only did the liquor store not have any, the lady at the counter had no clue what it was. I ended up buying two bottles of wine which I hope will turn out to be good choices. I don't actually drink alcohol; I think I've mentioned before that I don't want to discover how sarcastic it would make me, but my host asked if I would bring a bottle. I'm perfectly comfortable with the request since it saves me the trouble of figuring out what to bring.

The big plans for tomorrow are sleeping, grading and book arranging. Someone has given me two bookcases, and I need to decide where to put them before I fill them with books.

I returned the unopend food processor I bought two (three?) months ago. I think I'm not the cooking type. I'm perfectly happy chopping veggies with a knife, and opening a can of tuna for dinner, and I don't intend to change now.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

It might be Thanksgiving, but it's 8 a.m. and a good time to read blogs!

I've never heard of icewine. It sounds interesting, I will keep an eye out for it.

I think I'm still too fat for calipers. Seriously! I don't understand where it would END; it seems to me I can grab a fold of skin/fat from the bottom of my ribs all the way to the top of my hipbones, which must be at least 4-5 inches.

Maybe I'm not doing it right.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

You have to come back "home" to get icewine, silly.

(Icewine is made with grapes after they've frozen on the vine, Marla.)

"Not the cooking type"? WHATEV. This from a woman who made the best apple pie I've ever tasted in my life. Puh-leeze. I can't let you deceive your gentle readers so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home