Sunday, November 26, 2006

Crash

"If you're worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep." -- Irving Berlin
There will be some serious counting of blessings this week, folks, because I am very stressed right now. My Mac had a hard drive failure on Friday. I've lost everything that was on it: my lesson plans and handouts, all the work I've done on the final papers I need to hand in to Hebrew U by Dec 31, the 2000+ photographs I took in Israel during the past two years... You'd think that a fairly intelligent woman who has been using computers since before 1992 would be smarter about regular backups, wouldn't you? I do have some stuff backed up, but as soon as I have a computer again I will buy an external HD and back up that way rather than messing about with flash drives and cds. Considering I've never had any hardware fail on me, I was probably due. Arggh. Anyway, spilled milk under the bridge (insert your fave metaphor here). I've been super-flexible and patient with my students about deadlines, so I hope some of this good karma comes back to me from my professors.

American Thanksgiving was lovely. I think I'm adopting this holiday going forward. I was invited to the house of one of my colleagues for dinner, and it was delightful. As for the sales, I went to Sears and got a winter coat and a blender. I was planning to do additional shopping, but when I got to a store on Friday morning at 7:00am and saw how packed it was, I turned around and walked right back out again.

The latest newsletter from Cressey mentioned that he uses at least 50% of his in-car time to listen to business or fitness cds. Sounded like a good idea to me so I decided to try it. I got some cds from the public library, and on the drive today (to the cafe from which I'm blogging this) I listened to a cd about time management. Another baby step in the right direction, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home