Sunday, November 12, 2006

Back with a Vengeance

Regular blogging has resumed, not that I expect anyone to still be reading considering my lengthy disappearing act.

Three and a half months after my last serious workout (July 23, 2006), or if you prefer, three months and one week after arriving in Kansas, I am back. Depressing, yes, but considering that it took me seven months to find a gym when I arrived in Israel from Canada, three and a half months is a huge improvement.

Via word of mouth (my colleague A put me in touch with his friend B, who introduced me to her friend C, who asked his friend D...) I found a gym that strongly reminds me of the gym back in Jerusalem: small and serious. It has a power cage and a place to do neg pullups. No Russian or Georgian guys that I can see, but that's ok. :-) There's no heavy bag either, but the owner says he has one sitting at home and has been planning to bring it in and hang it up for some time, and I believe him. The membership price is right, and there was none of the nonsense I've been subjected to at other gyms (must EFT, special today only, huge initiation fee but we'll take it off if you sign today, sign your firstborn over to us... blech!). The changerooms are small, but nicely designed, the lockers are big and the gym provides locks and towels. I had a trial workout there, a couple of sets of squats, a couple of sets of deads, a little abwork, and now I'm feeling like I'm back to myself.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to drive back there and give them the cheque, and also get a better idea of how long the drive takes during rush hour. This is the perfect week to get back into a routine because it is going to be insane. Monday is a 7:00am-7:30pm day for me, Thursday and Friday are parent-teacher conferences and my colleagues tell me to expect 100% attendance, I have to finish progress reports today (yes, another Sunday at work), and I have a stack of grading on my desk that's threatening to fall off and crush me. The drawback to giving thoughtful assignments is that they require a long time to grade. Yes, I read every word my students write. No, I'm not going to move to multiple choice tests just so I can have a life. So, after this week, every other week will be a breeze.

I'm not sure what the damage from my three months of distraction has been. My clothes still fit, but I've lost a ton of strength and I realised yesterday that my callouses are gone (sob). There's a scale at the gym, and I'll step on it next time I'm in to get an accurate read on the consequences of sloth. I'll post the result, obviously.

Motivation: I'm planning is to return to Israel in July 2007 for a curriculum workshop, and I'll be damned if I'm going to walk into my old gym and face man-in-charge and ShoulderGuy and all the other people there as weak and unfit and looking like a slug. I'm also planning to sign up for cont. ed. Russian classes at the local community college in the new year so I can actually say a few phrases when I see everyone again.

6 Comments:

At 2:00 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

"...not that I expect anyone to still be reading.." No way! I check on you every couple days hoping you'll be back.

The new gym sounds great, a serious and comfortable place. July is not so far away (scary thought) so I'm glad you've found it. I am totally with you on not wanting to go back weak and slug-like. You will go back as superwoman and astound everyone with your muscles and language skills!

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger NicoleW said...

I'm still reading! Nice to hear from you again.

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger BethK said...

I've been a regular checker-inner too. You can't get rid of us that easily... Can't wait to hear about the continuing adventures!

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Mich said...

m@rla, nicole, beth:
thank you!

 
At 12:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! Thought it'd been a while - looks like I didn't have you in my opml file when I got a new computer. Great to see you back - I've got some catching up to do :)

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Oops! Thought it'd been a while - looks like I didn't have you in my opml file when I got a new computer. Great to see you back - I've got some catching up to do :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home