Sunday, August 20, 2006

Perspective

Bought a scale last week. Stepped on scale this morning. Result: 63.2Kg/139.3lbs. Under normal circumstances I'd be pleased with seeing the 130s, but I was just annoyed with the fact that I've let myself veg and lose muscle since I got here.

Checked out the 24 Hr Fitness next to work today. It's very big and rather pricey ($45/month) but they have a power cage. They also have dip bars, so I tried one. It's disgusting how much strength I've lost. I could do multiple sets of these when I left Jerusalem. Grrr.

Another note on perspective: I went to get a rental car, was hoping for a little Hyundai Accent so I could have an extended test drive. Smallest thing they had was a Sonata (big), and when the Sonata had a flat tire an hour later (thank God I wasn't on the highway), I went back and they gave me a Tucson (suv-ish). Under normal circumstances I'd be pleased to get a roomier car, but I was just annoyed about the missed test drive opportunity.

Also went to a support-Israel rally at the local synagogue this afternoon. It was very sweet. Lots of prayers for peace and enthusiastic singing. It was also my first experience in singing the Star Spangled Banner with a large crowd. Nice.

4 Comments:

At 7:39 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Well, $45 per month is about par for a good facility. Less, and the place can have maintenance issues. I have to say, Jerusalem sounded ideal. However, find the right gym near where you are, and it can be just as good.

If you get back into the swing of things, I think you'll find your dips coming back.

 
At 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, feeling american? =)

I'm just chillin with Elvis!

 
At 3:21 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

Losing muscle (and are you sure that's what you've lost?) is not "disgusting", it's understandable. And recuperable.

What made you decide to buy a scale? Did you have one in Jerusalem?

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

What, you know the words to the Star Spangled Banner??? I don't mean to be unpatriotic, but that is just the worst national anthem in the world. I remember Kurt Vonnegut writing something about how an anthem shouldn't be unsingable for most normal voices and filled with question marks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home