Thursday, August 03, 2006

Landed

On the other hand, I could start blogging again the next day...

Instead of taking 40 minutes to get from the airport to my host's home, I took two hours. The friendly people at the car rental place told me to take the highway around the city, and then take a particular exit. Only problem was, the exit hasn't been built yet, they're building it now. So after a slight detour into Missouri and new directions from a salesperson at a drugstore, I made my way back to Kansas.

Went to the Social Security office to apply for a number so that my new employer can pay me, and was told that it will take four weeks. Yikes. I'll just live on egg whites and oats till then.

I'm hoping to move into an apartment tomorrow. My hosts, bless them, have invited me to stay through the weekend, so it's not like I have to pitch a tent on the banks of the Kansas river.

Today was a fast day on the Jewish calendar, so no training and no nutrition to report.

6 Comments:

At 4:49 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Are any drinks acceptable during the fast - even just water?

 
At 5:49 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Scott - the Jewish calendar has four minor fasts and two major fasts (Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur). All of them are full fasts, no food and no water.

 
At 2:47 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

That's awesome - you got directions from people from the future.

 
At 10:46 AM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Have you tried any barbecue (post fast)? Have you gotten into any debates regarding "intelligent design"?

Kansas is a fascinating place. At the time of the civil war, it was fairly radical. It has become quite conservative, but some of the radical elements remain.

I'll be interested to hear your stories about dealing with the american system. It's always enlightenting to get an outside perspective.

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Glad you're safe - a close call, there, with Missouri! Good luck with apartment and 4-week fast.

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Hey, I like the new About Me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home