Friday, August 11, 2006

Kansas

Settling in to Kansas. I moved into an apartment this week and started work the following day. :-) No furniture to speak of yet. I bought an airbed so that I have something to sleep on while I'm deciding what furniture I want. When I moved out during university, I made the mistake of buying too much furniture too fast, all of which I grew to dislike. So this time I'm taking my time and not buying anything I don't absolutely love. My colleagues at work tell me the garage sales here are amazing, so I plan to look around at those and see what I find. One of the local synagogues is having one next week.

The next item on the agenda is buying a car, since my rental ends next week. One of my colleagues has offered to give me a ride to and from school once the rental ends, but I don't want to take advantage of this for longer than absolutely necessary. Also, the sooner I have a car the sooner I get my butt into a gym. Budget dictates something along the size of the Yaris or Fit. Suggestions are welcome.

No gym yet, which is frustrating, but no furniture = lots of space to exercise at home. There's a walking/biking trail next to my new home, and I plan to make use of it as soon as the heat eases off. Home is a haven of good nutrition, which is a good thing because work is emphatically not. I'd forgotten how much garbage food is around at work. I asked the athletic director of the school if he can suggest a powerlifting friendly gym, and he made inquiries and came up with some that is (I kid you not) Russian owned. As soon as I have a car I will check it out. There is also a gym close to my home but it is surprisingly expensive, $65 per month which seems high to me. I have yet to check out the 24 Fitness locations near work.

No internet access at home yet - I am blogging this from a Panera Bread location that has free wifi.

4 Comments:

At 5:04 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Sounds like things are shaping up well. Do you have Carmax there? They are a used car dealer and seem to be pretty reliable.

 
At 5:22 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

I think either the Honda or the Toyota are good because of the brand. Getting the good gas mileage both cars offer will also be easier on the budget. I have actually been considering downgrading my car for that reason.

Kansas is hot. You're stuck in the middle of the continent.

The Russians and eastern block countries were big into powerlifting.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

(1) Laughing at the faux-Ikea boxes in the car on the Fit website.
(2) I think you zooming to the gym in a car called "Fit" would be so a propos.

Good luck on all the decisions!

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Oh I'm back again, you have to post more often so I don't have all these multiple comments!

Anyway, I saw an assisted chin up using a band here, and thought it might be useful for your training.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home