Saturday, July 22, 2006

Squats Box Deads

The last squat session was on Thursday, the last boxing class was on Friday morning and the last deadlift session was on Friday afternoon. Normally I wouldn't do both boxing and deads on the same day, but it was the last day of the 4 rep microcycle, and I wanted to finish it off before I left Israel. At the same time, there was no way I was missing the last boxing class. So I came in Friday morning at 8:30am, did the boxing class, ran to the post office to mail two more boxes of books, ate something, went to town to run a couple of errands, and went back to the gym at 1pm for the deadlift session.

A bit of a jump in weight on both the squats and the deads, probably because it was my last day. Man-in-charge had told me a few times that I could go heavier but that we were going for a steady progression. Over the next year I'm going to continue shooting for a 2.5% increase in weight from cycle to cycle. Meaning, the 8 rep weight on this cycle should be 2.5% higher than the 8 rep weight on the last one, without failure.

Squats on Thursday
4 x 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs
4 x 56.5 Kg / 124.6 lbs
4 x 70 Kg / 154.3 lbs
4 x 65 Kg / 143.3 lbs
4 x 60 Kg / 132.3 lbs
4 x 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs

Deads on Friday
4 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
4 x 65 Kg / 132.3 lbs
4 x 80 Kg / 176.4 lbs
4 x 70 Kg / 154.3 lbs
4 x 65 Kg / 143.3 lbs
4 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
It was pretty good. I was a bit tired, but it's always nice to find out that you can do more than you think you can. My grip was good enough for exactly four reps, probably because I had spent much of the boxing class hitting the heavy bag.

In less than 12 hours I leave for the airport and I still have to finish packing and cleaning my room. I'll blog again when I get to Toronto.

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Have a good trip. Have you ever thought of doing something like measuring a single rep max?

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger Jason Rubenstein said...

You must be getting very strong!

Hey, I'm in Toronto. . email me.
-Jason/tonecluster

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Bud - I thought about it briefly when I started lifting, but over time I just started thinking of 6 rep sets as the standard for my PRs. I'm not particularly curious about my one RM at the moment. If I ever enter a powerlifting competition then I'll find out what it is.

Jason - Welcome to TO! I sent you an e-mail to the TC address. Let me know if your schedule has space for coffee.

 
At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Mich, 6 reps is good. Nancy and I got on a new training kick at the end of May, and measurement is a key component. We've had to put some thought into it. I was wondering what others did.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home