Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pining

I miss being in Israel. I miss walking everywhere in Jerusalem and looking at modern things and historical things at the same time. I miss the fruit and vegetables that taste like fruit and vegetables, I miss going to my gym late in the evening and seeing familiar faces and people training seriously with good form and having dbs in small increments. I miss following the evening gym session with a late night visit to the local supermarket where everything is kosher. I miss having a cell phone with the option of sending text messages in Hebrew, English, Russian and Arabic. (Not that I know all four, but it's nice to have the option.) I miss my favourite cafes and favourite clothing stores and the long bus ride from the university to my neighbourhood. I miss having wireless access everywhere...

Ok, enough pining and whining. I'm in Toronto doing various things that need to get done before I leave next week, and the list seems to get longer by the day.

Yesterday was Day II: Back. I stood in the middle of the gym looking up at the pull up bar, wondering how the heck I'm supposed to get up there to do my negative pull ups. I couldn't think of a solution. There were no chairs, and I couldn't very well ask someone to give me a boost for everyr rep. Finally I gave up and just used the assisted pull up machine, and concentrated on getting the scapulae to talk to each other.

Today was Day III: Quads and Other Things. I found a way to do the lying cable rows, but it was strange using a rope handle rather than the strap handle. Upright db rows were fine too, but again, I need incremental weights. A 5 lb jump is too much. I had the squat rack to myself, and a nice trainer named Larry agreed to spot my max set. The squats went fine, but I ran out of time and did not get to the hack squat machine - I had to run to an appointment half hour away.

Diesel is huge and beautifully designed, but I miss my gym back in Jerusalem... I will try and avoid saying that in every post. :-)

By the way, anyone thinking of going to this seminar?

5 Comments:

At 5:05 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Think of it as a challenge to find good food, a gym with dumbbells in small increments etc. As for wireless - I know you're not staying there for long, but doesn't Toronto have near-ubiquitous wifi?

Oh, that seminar looks pretty good. Bit far to travel (for me anyway) I'm afraid :)

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Of course it will be tough making the change - you loved living in Israel. I am worried about what Kansas can offer you in exchange for leaving Jerusalem... have you ever been there? I can't remember if you said whether you'd visited. I'm not knocking Kansas, it has its own charm, but boy it's going to be different from Jerusalem.

OK, now that's enough pessimism! You're going to find a WONDERFUL gym, run by the long-lost-brother of Man in Charge, you're going to LOVE your job, find a perfect place to live, make some fantastic friends, you will do TEN pullups, and all your dreams will come true. Then when you finally go home to Israel you also get to say that dumb-ass line about "We're not in Kansas anymore." I say that's how it's going to be, so that's that.

p.s. You should put "I miss my old gym" in your About paragraph; then you won't have to restate it every post.

 
At 1:04 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

Scott,
No, Toronto, does not have near-ubiquitous wifi. Or rather, even when you find some, it's never free anywhere. Compare that to L.A., where I can think of three free wi-fi cafes off the top of my head. It's quite stupid how little wi-fi T.O. has, really. Makes us look provincial and childish. /end rant

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Scott - No free wireless to speak of in Toronto. I'm looking forward to KC where I've already mapped Panera locations (restaurant with free wifi).

Mar!a - I like your predictions :-) Thank you. And I'll update the About when I get to KC.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger chavaleh said...

Yeah.

I miss the fruits and vegetables.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home