Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Deads, Focus and Philosophers

There are a few people in the gym who do their own program, by which I mean, one not designed by man-in-charge. Some are tourists or newcomers, and a couple of them just know what they're doing and do it well. For all I know they have their own person-in-charge whereever their home gym is. But there are a few who are clueless. They're rare, so when I see one I end up doing a double take. Like the guy who was doing 1/3 squats in the rack yesterday. Since I try to assume the best, I don't think to myself, "what exactly is that supposed to be, a squat-in-absentia?". Rather, I allow for the possibility that it's an exercise I had never seen before. Besides, as Tavis Smiley once said: "24 hours in a day; 12 to mind your own business and 12 to let other people mind theirs".

To offset the rare clueless soul we have several guys who are completely focused and on for every exercise. One really stood out last night because I hadn't seen him before. I first noticed him doing ab bicycles, an exercise which may as well come with a Not Fun warning label, and he was doing them like a machine. You can tell a lot about a man by how he trains, particularly the way he does the secondary exercises in between sets. Meaning, if a guy's bench is lovely but his assistance work is half-assed, he drops a couple of notches in my estimation. This guy, whomever he was, had focus in droves. Whether it was when he was doing db presses or when he was on hands and knees doing some sort of straight leg fire hydrant variation, the form was perfect and it was as if he was alone in the gym.

Fire hydrants variations are exercises I rarely see men do. Probably because they [the exercises, not the men] are staples of those revolting "toning and shaping" articles in women's fitness mags. I do not buy women's fitness mags. First, I'm allergic to the word "tone", second, the ads to text ratio is lousy, and third, there's much better stuff online. In any case, of the five people doing FHs variations last night, only one was female.

Tuesday's deads:
4 x 34 Kg / 74.9 lbs
4 x 54 Kg / 119 lbs
8 x 67.5 Kg / 148.8 lbs
8 x 60 Kg / 132.3 lbs
8 x 60 Kg / 132.3 lbs
4 x 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs

I decided to go in earlier yesterday. I had gotten less than five hours of sleep last night and I wanted to get the training session out of the way before my energy level tanked. I love cappuccinos, but there's a limit to how much caffeine I'm willing to drink.

Met the prof in the morning, came home, put in laundry, went out to the gym, came home, hung up the laundry, ate a post workout meal and now I'm at the university library for the evening.

At the gym I started the six rep microcycle.
Wednesday's bench presses:
4 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs
4 x 37.5 Kg / 82.7 lbs
6 x 47.5 Kg / 104.7 lbs Weaker on the left side, for some reason. The last two reps went up unassisted, but the right side got there a smidge ahead of the left.
6 x 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs
6 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
4 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs

World cup final will be Italy-France, which should be interesting. I don't care for one over the other, but I like the fact that France has a bunch of players over 30, and I'd like to see them make something of this last chance. Reminds me of a philosophy teacher I once had. She said she didn't click with Hume because he did incredible work in his 20s, but she was inspired by Kant because he hit his stride in his 50s, so she, being in her late 40s, felt she still had a shot at doing great things.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Heh. "squat-in-absentia."

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I like the Hume vs Kant thinking. I too look up to people who've achieved something great - in any field - when they're older than me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home