Monday, July 10, 2006

Baruch Dayan Emet

The title is Hebrew for "blessed is the true judge" and it is what Jews say when they hear of a death. When I came into the gym yesterday the first thing I saw was a sign on the counter advising that one of the members was killed in a traffic accident, and giving details of the family's shiva.

It was difficult getting through the workout because the young man that died often trained at the same time I did. I wanted to stay in the changeroom and cry, actually. He was one of the talkative young guys I mentioned awhile back. He had a sweet smile, used to sing between sets, used a green diet Sprite bottle as his water bottle and occasionally I'd see him straighten out the dumbbells that other people had failed to put back in the right place. I don't know a lot about him. We had snippets of conversation. He said that he had gone through a time of friction with his family. He also said that a school principal had been instrumental in helping him out. From other people in the gym I gleaned more details about what happened. Apparently the accident happened on Thursday night; there were four of them in the car and they somehow hit a post. Two were killed.

His name was Uriel and he was 18 years old.

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Sorry to hear that.

 
At 3:57 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Thanks Marla.

It's strange to train at my usual time, and turn around expecting him to be there, and then remember.

 
At 11:08 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

It's really a shame. His family (and you) will remember him forever.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home