Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Awful Bench

Took five boxes to the post office this morning. Had a mini upper body workout carrying them hither and thither within the post office. Four of them weighed around 30 lbs each, one was 45 lbs. I'm sending one by air and four by sea, so one should get to Kansas before I do and the other four should be there in 2-3 months. I'm pleasantly surprised that I only have five boxes of books to send.

Tomorrow night I'm going to go through clothes. My friend H put me in contact with an organization that will pick up clothes from one's home. I don't know what they do with them: donate to needy folks (ok), sell them as vintage (also ok), or destroy the textile industry in Africa (less ok. A different look here.) I'm going to ask.

Awful bench workout last night. I was stressed and annoyed by the fact that I had spent over five hours riding assorted buses from Jerusalem to Netanya to Hadera to Jerusalem, wasting time I couldn't afford to waste.

Flat BP
4 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs
4 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs This felt heavy, which it really has no business feeling.
5 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs They went up, but you can tell by the amount of weight I dropped for work set 2 and 3 how ugly the reps were.
5 x 37.5 Kg / 82.7 lbs
5 x 37.5 Kg / 82.7 lbs
4 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs

The first set of dips was atrocious also, and I considered just going home at this point. Thank goodness habit kicked in. I haven't cut a workout short in over a year, I think. I decided that I was just going to autopilot the rest of the workout, and then go home and not think about it. By the time I got to the third set of dips everything was fine, although my right hamstring decided to cramp halfway through the set. And I don't know if stress affects the chemical composition of one's sweat, but I reeked last night. Interesting in a detached sort of way.

Two pictures. The first one shows where the bus drops you off on the side of the highway road at Givat Olga. The second is the bridge you walk across to get to the other side of the road.



3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

It turns out that nervous perspiration does have a different composition than perspiring from exercise (a factoid I picked up on public radio years ago).

I agree with the just finish the workout mentality. It's important to keep the habit going.

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Scott said...

On a slightly different note : which is closer to the bus stop, the McDonalds or the health club? :)

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Had quite a funny inadvertent upper body excercise when I bought a widescreen tv from Cash Converters about 3/4 km away and i decided, hey I've been doing this gym thing for a while I'll carry it.

God, that was a trek, still got bruises and scratches up my arm from it.

The funny thing is, plugged the tv into my cable box and all was well for half an hour then 'pop' it died.

Didn't carry it back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home