Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Insect

The good news is that it is Tuesday morning, and I am not sore from Sunday's negative pullups. I am working towards the goal of not dropping like a stone but instead lowering slowly over a three-count. The first two sets were not bad, but the rest need improvement.

The gym was packed on Sunday night. Man-in-charge said that people have adjusted their schedules so that they can watch as many football (world cup of soccer) games as possible. The world cup is huge here. Both of the newspapers I bought on Friday had special sections devoted to it. Many bars and restaurants are advertising their tv screens and their drink specials: for example, a free shot every time a goal is scored. Most people here are cheering for Brazil or X Plus Brazil, meaning, they support another country, but would be happy if Brazil won, just because Brazilian football is beautiful. I have met a couple of Portugal fans and Spain fans also. I'm cheering for the USA, just to be different.

Last night I trained early because I had dinner plans. The workout was solid, and the gym was very quiet. We had a bit of excitement when a rather huge insect showed up and started flying around, unsettling one of the guys in the middle of a skullcrusher set. It (the bug) finally landed in a corner of the ceiling not far from the squat rack - maybe it was a lifter in a previous life :-)

I felt tired at the beginning but by the time I got to the squats I felt awake.
Squats
4 x 27.5 Kg / 60.6 lbs
4 x 44 Kg / 97 lbs
6 x 55 Kg / 121.3 lbs
6 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs
6 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs
4 x 27.5 Kg / 60.6 lbs

I've shortened the rest periods and started pushing myself even more on the cardio minutes. Presumably I should have more to put into them now that my work sets are shorter.

The dinner plans: my mentor teacher from the Atlanta student teaching stint is in town, so I took her to my favourite gourmet kosher restaurant in Jerusalem: Gabriel. Delicious food, attentive service, and beautiful surroundings. Not cheap, but worth every shekel. As we were walking back after dinner, we ran into PerfectSquatGuy from the gym. I almost didn't recognize him in non-gym clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home