Sunday, June 11, 2006

High School Teacher

I'm going to be a high school teacher come August.

Found some food for thought at Amy Welborn's Open Book:
"I've said to him too many times - whatever you do, don't go into high school teaching. It seems like the perfect fallback - out of school at 3, summers off, etc. But the fact is, it's mentally exhausting, it's stressful, it's discouraging and the pay is so bad what happens is that you start off thinking, "I'll just do this for a while," but then you can't save enough to do anything else, and you end up..stuck. High schools are filled with folks who always meant to move on, but never actually did. Which means that high school faculties can be places of dark humor and burning resentments. Which is balanced out by the saints among them. So, as an aside, if you know a teacher, buy him or her a drink. They deserve it."

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Well, Mich, you're doing this why?

I am in the process of moving from an elite University (University of Michigan) to a much less elite University (Eastern Michigan). In doing so, I had to think long and hard about what it was I wanted. I decided I liked teaching enough to keep on doing it.

As a teacher, you have some control over how the classroom situation evolves, and at the U. level, you have a lot of freedom. The onus is on you to use that freedom to get students in the door.

 
At 4:35 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

This isn't what you intend to move on from, this is what you are moving on to. I think that makes a difference.

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Bud said...

Actually, Julia, I couldn't agree more. In the end, I think it boils down to setting your own agenda. If you at least think you are doing that, then you tend to be more satisfied with the proecess.

 
At 4:01 AM , Blogger Mich said...

I quoted the piece because it was interesting, not because I'm worried about next year. I also liked the rest of the piece, about the different paths her sons have taken.

I have no regrets and no doubts about leaving banking for teaching. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done" :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home