Thursday, June 01, 2006

Happy Shavuot!

I'm still sore from the negative pullups on Sunday.

Wednesday I did not train because we had a year-end dinner at my non-Hebrew U school. The year isn't quite over for the people in my program, but this was a chance to say goodbye to a lot of people, hear speeches, laugh and get teary-eyed. I didn't get to hear the entire thing because I had a late class at Hebrew U and only arrived at the dinner two hours after it began. After the dinner I went out with my schoolmates to Emek Refaim Street. This was also a belated b-day party for me. My classmates D, E and B discovered that I had not gone out to celebrate my birthday last week, and declared that this would not do. Emek Refaim St was closed to traffic and turned into a street festival. There were bands at the intersections (jazz, irish music, middle-eastern music), costumed performers, food tables from the various restaurants... it was great. I'm not sure if it was a part of the Israel Festival or not, but it was a lot of fun. After the festival ended I went with B, D and his wife T to Selina restaurant for a very late dinner. I finally got home around 1:30am.

The gym closed at 3pm today because the holiday of Shavuot begins tonight. It will be closed tomorrow for the same reason, and closed on Saturday for the Sabbath. So my next session will be on Sunday. To celebrate Shavuot, I'm going to have dinner with my schoolmates E & A, and then, since one of the customs of Shavuot is to spend all night in the study of Torah, I will likely wander the streets of Jerusalem all night going from class to class. There is an incredible variety of classes available. If you found yourself on the streets of Jerusalem around 2am you'd be amazed by all the people in their holiday best walking from one learning opportunity to another.

I got my new program today. It is going to be challenging. I went through the entire thing, doing one set of each exercise at 50% weight. Like the old program, this one has four days and four exercises per day, each supersetted with abwork or a cardio interval, so I did 16 sets total. The microcycles are shorter: 8, 6, 5, and 4 reps rather than 10, 8, 7 and 6. I'll update the exercise link on the right with all the details after the holiday is over.

If you are celebrating Shavuot, have a wonderful holiday. Otherwise, enjoy the weekend!

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

AW! Wandering the streets from class to class in my holiday best is my version of fashion-conscious nerd heaven! Sounds lovely. Have a great holiday, sis.

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I like the negative versions of some exercises - I used to do situps that way, before my abs got strong enough to do them regularly. Man in charge is smart.

Happy Shavuot, hope you learn lots of stuff.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Scott said...

I agree with Julia - a night of wandering from class to class sounds great. Have a great holiday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home