Saturday, June 24, 2006

Friday Morning Boxing Class

At the beginning of class coach asked me how long it takes me to recover physically from the class. I told him I hadn't really thought about it, and he said I need to. I said that during the week I train in the late evening, and then go home, eat and fall asleep, so by morning, ta-da, recovery. He said that I should leave at least two hours between training and bedtime, and I said that, as he himself told me a few classes back, there is a different between רצוי ratzui (ideal/wanted) and מצוי matzui (present situation/commonplace).

The class was more intense than all the others I've been to thus far because we did more endurance work after the drills. I was sweating like a horse, but I was neither huffing nor puffing, and was able to keep up. My rope skipping is getting better. I found this article about Jump Rope Training by Ross Enamait, and I'm going to use some of his suggestions to improve in this area. I still haven't been hit by anyone, but I finally did partner work with someone using my gloves as targets. I also did some work on the heavy bag, and it was pointed out to me that I was standing way too close to the bag. I moved back and lo and behold, the punches are suddenly much more powerful.

The training plan for this week, and, if it goes well, for the rest of the weeks I'm in Jerusalem, is to lift Sunday & Monday, box on Tuesday, lift Wednesday & Thursday and box on Friday. I no longer have a class on Tuesday afternoon, so that makes it possible for me to come to the Tuesday 5pm boxing class. At all other times I'll either be at the Hebrew U library working madly on my papers, or packing my things and taking them to the post office to be shipped to TO or Kansas City. By the time the flight day comes, I need to have only two suitcases worth of stuff left to take.

After class I went to Givatayim and had lunch with friends of my parents. It was nice, but I do not like leaving Jerusalem even for part of a day. It's not just the hassle of taking a bus to the Central Bus Station, then the #480 from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, then the #45 from Tel Aviv to Givatayim (and reverse for the return, except that I got a ride from Givatayim to Tel Aviv). It's also that the entire process including the lunch takes 4-5 hours of my day, and right now I really have multiple things I could be doing with each of those hours. Once I returned to Jerusalem I stopped off at the shuk and bought light green peppers, figs and mangos. Went to bed at 10:30pm and woke up Shabbat morning at 9:00am or so. Had breakfast, went back to bed, and when I opened my eyes again it was 1:15pm.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

well deserved rest!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home