Thursday, June 29, 2006

Deads and Dating

Yesterday's deads.
4 x 37.5 Kg / 82.7 lbs
4 x 57.5 Kg / 126.8 lbs
4 x 72.5 Kg / 159.8 lbs
4 x 67.5 Kg / 148.8 lbs
4 x 62.5 Kg / 137.8 lbs
4 x 37.5 Kg / 82.7 lbs

Spent most of today at the university, attending a conference about Jewish education. Took advantage of the last day of Book Week prices at the university bookstore, and now I need to buy packing tape and start packing and shipping. Papers and packing are the foci of my life right now.

Normally I listen to music on my cd player while walking to the gym, but last night I got a call just as I was leaving the apartment. I'm planning to go to a lecture series with someone and she was calling to confirm the date. She sounded down so I asked what was the matter. Turns out the guy she had been seeing broke up with her. She's Orthodox and over 30, which means huge pressure from her family to get married asap. I could not believe the frog she was describing. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I'm hardly an expert on dating, having been a wallflower/homebody for most of my adult life, but anyone with two brain cells would know that someone who lies to you and about you and also expects you to always pay is not a good lifepartner choice. Told her she should say HaGomel (the Jewish blessing that you say after surviving a dangerous sitations such as illness, a hostage taking or childbirth) that she did not remain with this frog any longer, and that she should do what she can to ignore the people who are pushing her to get married. (So if you saw an incensed gesticulating woman with a silvery gym bag on the streets of Jerusalem last night, that was me. I don't think I can laugh at people who gesture while talking on their cellphone anymore...)

My opinion on marriage timing is that you look for The Thousandth Man, by which I mean the Kipling poem:
One man in a thousand, Solomon says,
Will stick more close than a brother.
And it’s worth while seeking him half your days
If you find him before the other.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine depend
On what the world sees in you,
But the Thousandth Man will stand your friend
With the whole round world agin you.

2 Comments:

At 12:50 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Very nice poem. I should read more Kipling (glances at list of upcoming book fairs...).

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

You realize Kipling is my favorite poet. Well, I've never heard him called "a poet," but you know what I mean.

I am starting to be alarmed at our weird similarities... perhaps we were separated at birth?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home