Thursday, June 08, 2006

Day II, III and IV

Monday was Day II: Back. Started with negative pullups supersetted with abwork. Like the dips, huge room for improvement. The last set I was dropping like a potato sack again. Followed this with lat pulldowns to chin supersetted with abwork, single arm bent over db rows supersetted with a 1 min cardio interval, and seated cable bicep curls supersetted with a 1 min cardio interval.

Tuesday was Day III: Quads and Back. Started with lying cable rows and then db upright rows, both supersetted with abwork. Moved on to squats and then hack squat machine.
Squats
4 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs
4 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
8 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs
8 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs
8 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
4 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs
These felt great. I was totally focused. On my second to last set one of my fellow gym goers had a near-collision with my bar, but it didn't even throw me off.

The hack squats were a pleasent surprise because the last time I did these I had to eventually drop them from my program due to right knee issues. This time around they felt comfortable. As comfortable as a hack squat machine can possibly feel...

Last night was Day IV: Deads and Things. I wanted to get four sessions out of the way early because this evening is taken by by my non-Hebrew U school's graduation ceremony. Between photographs and speeches and presentations, the entire evening is spoken for, making it impossible for me to train tonight. I will try and squish something in at lunch time.

Day IV has had the most changes. Deads are now the first exercise I do, rather than the third. They're followed by hamstring curls. Deadlifts
4 x 30 Kg / 66.1 lbs
4 x 47.5 Kg / 104.7 lbs
8 x 60 Kg / 132.3 lbs
8 x 55 Kg / 121.3 lbs
8 x 52.5 Kg / 115.7 lbs
4 x 30 Kg / 66.1 lbs

The last two exercises on Day IV are for weak points: rolling the bar from the fingertips upwards to hit the brachioradialis, and finally rotator cuff work. Both of these are supersetted with 1 min cardio interval between sets.

The workouts on this program are shorter, and I'm trying to keep my rests shorter too, taking the full three minutes only for bp, squats and dead max sets. I need to remember that in less than two months the"easy" life of the full time grad student will be over and I'll be back to the world of work, so I can't spend 1.5 hours in the gym just because I really enjoy it there. :-)

4 Comments:

At 6:14 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Is the planned pullup by July still on schedule? If you ever come across a Total Gym of any description, try one on it - it's basically a pullup at an angle so you're not pulling full bodyweight. On the one here, I'm only lifting about 44%bw, which makes things a lot easier whilst still hitting the same areas.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger K said...

I find it's the rests that take the time, too - though I try to keep them to 90 seconds. That, and waiting for people to get off the equipment I want to use...

What cardio do you do for your 1min intervals? The only supersetting I do is bicep curls/crunches, but I'd like to vary my routine more.

 
At 9:39 PM , Anonymous Paul said...

Hi Maspik,
I came accross your blog by accident. You have made realy great gains. Go to www.rossboxing.com, get one of his books, I have 3. They will take you to a new leval, I went from 245 down to 189 [19 % body fat] lbs in 2 years and im 45. Good luck.
Paul

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Scott - not sure, the stalling at 30cm took me by surprise. I'm proceeding as if it is still on schedule, doing the negative pullups and not thinking about anything else right now. Hoping that when I switch back to regular attempts I'll see drastic shrinkage in the distance from the bar.

K - it's very low-tech; either a forward/backwards shuffle or a side to side shuffle across a low square block (about 1.25'' high) or an aerobic step (different heights). The idea is to take very small steps, go very fast. keep your body upright, and don't look at your feet. It has done wonders for my coordination. I've seen other people do variations that have more intricate steps, and a number of guys are doing them while carrying a large db over their shoulder. I think any cardio will do, even hopping on an available stationary bike or rower and going all-out for 60-120 seconds.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home