Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Boxing Class and Two Nights

I'm not going to use the words "I'm tired" on this blog anymore. You're probably tired of reading it. Besides, what does tired have to do with anything? Shut up and train, as the t-shirt says. (I have to get me one of those) :-)

Friday morning's boxing class was intense. The hook is proving to be elusive. All the guys were giving me good advice (beyond "relax your shoulders", which is fast becoming my boxing mantra), but one was especially helpful. He said to think of it as if I was giving someone an open handed circular slap. Once you have that motion down, replicate it with the arm bent and the fist closed. Aha, progress. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I am looking forward to someone hitting me in class. The class features some body contact but no face contact, but since I am still in the newbie category, no one's actually hit me yet. I hope I get far enough before I leave for someone to actually hit me. :-)

I did get to work the bag, and I did so enthusiastically. I didn't realise how enthusiastically until half an hour later. Sitting at a cafe waiting for a friend to join me for second breakfast, I attempted to write something and was unable to write clearly because my arms were trembling. Muscles between neckline and braline were sore all through Saturday. I don't see DOMS as a positive or necessary thing, but I do consider it an indicator that I used my muscles in unexpected ways. If any of my readers have children, I suggest you teach them to skip rope before their age is in double digits. The skill is easier to acquire as a six year old than as a thirty-six year old...

Sunday night was Day II: Back, and it was the first time that I felt consistent control on the negative pullups. Except for the last work set when it was back to sack-of-potatoes imitation. Granted, part of it has to do with the shorter work sets (5 reps right now), but I am also getting stronger. (yay!)

Last night was Day III: Quads And Back, and I went in early because my Maryland mentor teacher (from my first stint of student teaching) is also visiting Israel right now, and we had dinner plans. The upright db rows felt heavy - the max set was with a pair of 13.75 Kg / 30.3 lbs dbs and I didn't think the last rep was clean, but everything else felt good. The squats were:
4 x 29 Kg / 63.9 lbs
4 x 46 Kg / 101.4 lbs
5 x 57.5 Kg / 126.8 lbs
5 x 55 Kg / 121.3 lbs
5 x 50 Kg / 110.2 lbs
4 x 30 Kg / 66.1 lbs

I decided to move my flight so that I have another week here. I need the breathing room. My friend C gave me a bunch of boxes, so tecnnically I can start packing already, but I'm holding off until I find out the results of my working visa application.

3 Comments:

At 6:19 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I knew that boxing class would kick ass! It sounded just so perfect for you. I used to do a kickboxing type exercise tape, and I never did "get" the hook. After doing a bunch of quick little jabs, it always seemed so slow and cumbersome, like "wait a minute, I'm a-gonna hit you, pretty quick here, just as soon as I get my arm waaay back here..." Oh well, I guess that's what practice is for.

I hope you'll continue blogging after you move, I can't wait to read all about your new life.

 
At 4:26 AM , Blogger Scott said...

No-one's hit you yet? Sounds as though you're keen to get hit just so you don't feel too bad about hitting them back :)

 
At 8:59 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

I like the positive attitude. And start packing, already, I don't believe in this procrastination via superstition thing.

Also, I am liking the word "braline" - it's a bra, it's a praline, it's a candy-coated almond undergarment! Yeah, yeah, I'll be here all week...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home