Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Two Months Less A Day

Two months less a day... and then my Israel adventure comes to an end, and I return to North America, first to Canada, and then, if all goes well, Kansas. So much to do between now and then. Sorting, packing and shipping my stuff (no furniture, thank goodness, just clothes and notes and way too many books), and of course, finishing university papers. I don't want to think about leaving my gym, but I have to, so... looks like KC has several 24 hour fitness places, and there's this place, which looks amazing but is 40+ minutes away from where I hope to be.

That psych course I mentioned the other day? Here's a great article from its reading list about Ending Procrastination:
According to Joseph Ferrari, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology at De Paul University in Chicago, real procrastinators tell themselves five lies:
-They overestimate the time they have left to perform tasks.
-They underestimate the time it takes to complete tasks.
-They overestimate how motivated they will feel the next day, the next week, the next month -- whenever they are putting things off to.
-They mistakenly think that succeeding at a task requires that they feel like doing it.
-They mistakenly believe that working when not in the mood is suboptimal.

Wish I'd read it two years ago... I've managed to eliminate the above stupidities when it comes to training. Why is it difficult to eliminate them when it comes to my academics?

4 Comments:

At 7:05 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I like that procrastination thingie - it's not a huge issue for me, but I am SO going to show that to my husband. Hee.

I notice the gym doesn't have any female trainers. Perhaps you should apply? That would be tantamount to a free membership.

 
At 10:03 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Marla - I've been thinking about getting certification and becoming a part-time trainer at some point down the road. I'm not planning to give up my budding teaching career, but since I'm in the gym almost every day, and since I like being in the gym... the thing is, physically, I'm not there yet. I think that a female trainer, at the absolute minimum, should be able to bench her bodyweight and do pullups. In addition, as Christian Thibaudeau wrote in his article The Beast Evolves: "my job is to not only know what I'm talking about, but to look like I know what I'm talking about!".

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

I LOVE that procrastinating article. Wish I'd read it fifteen years ago!

Anyhow, at least I've been improving a little in that respect, so I don't feel quite as guilty reading the five lies.

I think I'll post those on a "stickie" on my desktop.

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger BethK said...

OMG... That procrastination article! It's like they rummaged around in my head.

Thank you for posting that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home