Sunday, May 14, 2006

Things on My Mind



Last week was perfect workout-wise; five lifting sessions (Sunday through Thursday inclusive) and one boxing class (Friday). This week is not going to be. Those Sunday evening meetings I mentioned awhile back are back on, and tomorrow night one of my classmates is getting married, which will occupy the 6pm to midnight timeslot. So the plan is to get a workout in tomorrow morning - be at the gym at 6:00am and see what transpires. I'm not a fan of squatting at that hour, but there's really no other choice. I need some time in the early afternoon to "prettify" before heading to the wedding.

Via this article in Haaretz I learned about Harvard prof Tal Ben Shahar's Positive Psychology course. The course page is here, and the readings are here. Interesting stuff.

Remember last month's suicide bombing in Tel Aviv? It claimed two more victims this weekend. Lior, a 26 year old Israeli newlywed, and Daniel, a 16 year old American tourist, both died of wounds sustained in that bombing.

4 Comments:

At 2:57 AM , Blogger the sabra said...

gorgeous pics!

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I want to ask you a question about deadlifts. I used to do the stiff-leg, straight-leg version. My new workout includes a different kind.
If you go to this link
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&category=total.body&channel=muscle.building&conitem=f8fb200525cca010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____
after the first paragraph there's a "see the slide show" link. They show the start and end position of the deadlift.

I feel like I just don't "get it" when I'm doing these. I don't know what to do with my back, whether to bend, curl, remain flat... it just doesn't feel right. It feels like a squat, more than anything - is that right?

Can you describe a deadlift, and/or can you recommend an example of one on the web somewhere that shows more than the two positions?

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Mich said...

sabra - thank you. I took them at the Hebrew University's Mt. Scopus campus. The landscaping on the grounds is beautiful.

mar!a - I'm getting a 404 not found when I try to load the page. Can you tell me how to get there from the front page of MH? In the meantime, see this Dork to Diva deadlifts article over at Stumptuous, as well as this miniclip over at exrx.net. After that, see Robertson's article Precision Pulling.

A deadlift should feel different than a squat and it does take awhile to get used to. My back stays flat, the bend is at the hips, and there's movement at the shoulders that helps the bar clear the knees. It took several months to get comfortable with it, but once it clicked, it clicked.

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Thanks for the links Mich. I had been looking at the exrx.net before, it seemed like what I wanted to aim for. That point about movement in your shoulders to clear your knees is probably the key to why it hasn't felt right to me. In the stiff/straight version I'm used to keeping my shoulders immobile.

I couldn't even find the workout through the main page of MH's! But, go to my workout blog:
http://everylittledetail.blogspot.com/
Click on the link in the first post for "Minimalist Workout" and then look for the slide show. That should work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home