Sunday, May 21, 2006

Musings

I finished a little early at school today because most of the afternoon class had to get to a wedding outside Jerusalem. The plan is to go to the optical store and try on more glasses, then to the Judaica bookstore and ask bookseller about buying a few more religious books and shipping them to North America, then home, gym, homework and sleep.

Boxing class Friday morning was fun, and after it I went to the Menachem Begin Heritage Center. I had been planning to go to the center since it opened; it's only about a 20 minute walk from my home, if that.

These days, I consider exercise a pleasure rather than a chore. But I've rarely thought about it as a right, which many women around the world don't have. See this post about exercise challenges faced by women in Saudi Arabia.

[The next two links are in Hebrew] I don't care for reality tv, and I've never seen the American tv show The Biggest Loser. I discovered last night that the Israeli version of the show begins this Wednesday on channel 10. Apparently the format has been sold in 25 countries. Here it is called לרדת בגדול laredet b'gadol, or "to shrink/reduce in a big way". There are twelve contestants, six men and six women, competing against each other to see who can lose the most weight. Last night was the preview show, which I glimpsed on and off while folding laundry and eating dinner. The preview show, which grabbed the third place in the ratings with 9.1%, explained how the twelve contestants were chosen from the many that applied. I don't quite understand how someone would be willing to do this sort of show in a country as small as Israel, where everyone knows everyone. I liked the goal of a contestant named Ronen; he said that one of his goals was to do a full pull up. Now there's a goal I can relate to. :-)

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

I caught the first ep. of a Canadian version called "X-weighted". When a participant wanted to go on an 800 calorie atkins-style diet, the trainer quit. I was so pleased. Of course, they just hired another trainer who warned the woman that he didn't support her choice, but worked with her anyways. Frustrating to watch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home