Sunday, April 09, 2006

So Tired And Yet

A couple of new people came in to check out the gym tonight. Pesach is a holiday when people start diets and join gyms, reasoning that since they just spent a week (or are about to spend a week) without bread, it's a good time to transition to healthy eating and a new lifestyle.

I had three and a half hours of sleep last night. Couldn't sleep because I was thinking about the career decision. Talked it over with several people today; the director of my program, the admin coordinator of my program, my classmate D... each of them highlighted things that I had not considered. I think that I am close to making a decision, and then I re-consider. Texas or Kansas; that is the question...

Went to the gym and did Day I: Chest, starting off the 10 rep microcycle. For decline bp the three work sets were 10 x 40Kg, 10 x 40Kg, and 10 x 30Kg. So on the one hand I felt exhausted, and on the other hand I managed 10 x 40Kg twice? It amazes me what I can do on minimal sleep and inadequate nutrition, and it pleases me that my gym going seems to be on autopilot now. There's no such thing as not training. If I'm awake then I go train, end of story. I'm planning to do Day II tomorrow, Day III on Wednesday, then Pesach starts Wednesday night and the gym is closed until Friday morning, so Day IV on Friday, and then I'll be able to start the next microcycle on Sunday.

4 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Blogger Kris said...

I've also found that one can do some amazing things fueled by minimal sleep. Going for a sleep-deprived max squat tonight at midnight in fact. Still, getting more sleep is generally a good thing. :-)

Keep up the good progress!

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Are you literally trying to decide between Texas and Kansas, or did I miss an in-joke?

I would have a hard time making such a decision; to me I think they are weirdly similar states in some ways (flat). If Texas, the CITY matters the most. I'm not sure Kansas has more than a couple cities, so there's not so much to choose amongst.

I think you're very determined to workout with sleep deprivation. That's one of the few things that derails me, and you know I'm very good about sticking to my schedule.

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I've noticed that I can function OK on minimal sleep - provided I get a chance to catch up at some point. A solid 7-8 hours once every couple of weeks seems to do the trick.

Does a workout after a sleepless night seem to affect your recovery at all?

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Kris - thanks! I intend to.

Marla - the choice is literally between Texas and Kansas. As for sleep deprivation, I realised at some point that it doesn't matter. 99.9% of the time I have enough left in me to do a good session, one set at a time, one rep at a time.

Scott - haven't tried a workout after no sleep at all. It's always been at least three hours.

I remember talking to a neurologist at a party once about the use of sleep deprivation as a treatment for depression. I'm thinking there might be something to be gleaned there regarding sleep and its effects on exercise proficiency. If you google sleep deprivation + treatment + depression you get a lot of interesting stuff. Like this article.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home