Sunday, April 16, 2006

Seeking Carryover

I forgot to wish Happy Easter to those readers celebrating it. Oy. I hope you are having a meaningful and enjoyable one.

Gym was swamped today. I hadn't expected it to be swamped. I thought people would take time off and enjoy the holiday. Although I have no idea why I thought that... I mean, I was there, right? Again a mixture of oldies and newbies. I think this is the first time in my life that I've been in one gym long enough to be considered one of the oldies. I hope the newbies stick it out, and that if they don't, they dust themselves off and try again.

Because I was there at an unusual timeslot for me (2pm), I saw some people that I haven't seen since the summer. One guy was doing deadlifts with 170 Kg / 375 lbs. In contrast to the preacher curl guy from Friday, there was no grunting involved. I don't even think that was his max set. The next time I glanced up he was silently doing weighted dips with 40 Kgs / 88 lbs handing off his belt. Very nice.

I had a good Day II: Back workout. The baby pullups are improving, and the two varieties of lat pulldowns I do after the pullup attempts felt very strong. Man-in-charge actually had me bump up the weight by 3Kg /6.6 lbs on the second variety after I finished my max set, which is very unusual. I think that has only happened one other time in entire time I've been at the gym. The norm is slow and steady progression, which I like very much, because you get to a new max weight at the end of each microcycle and you know you own that weight.

I'm not impressed with how I'm using my time off during this Pesach. I could be so much more productive, but it seems my in-gym time is the only productive time of my day. Things got out of whack today because I went to sleep at the ridiculous hour of 3:30am this morning. Today I was tired most of the day. I need to get some carryover; all this focus and drive and seriousness can't just appear when I'm in the gym; it needs to trickle down (out? over?) to the rest of my life. Some of it already has, but nowhere near enough. There's so much to do before I leave, and I can't afford to waste any more time than I already have this year.

1 Comments:

At 8:32 AM , Blogger BethK said...

I think the proudest moment to date of my return to healthy eating and exercise was the day that one of the regulars at my gym pointed me out to someone else as "a regular". It just made me soar..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home