Monday, April 17, 2006

Reality

This morning I had breakfast with someone who was taking the bus to Tel Aviv immediately following said breakfast. I hope she didn't go to the area of the old central bus station. I was at the gym, about ten minutes into my workout, when one of the guys asked if anyone heard about the terrorist bombing in Tel Aviv. Most of us hadn't. We turned the tv to one of the Israeli news channels and watched reports in between sets. It was only when I got home that I heard the latest numbers: nine dead and sixty five wounded. No names released yet. The Islamic Jihad scumbag was stopped by a security guard and detonated outside the restaurant rather than inside. The police are now searching for the enablers who transported him and his suicide belt to Tel Aviv.

Obviously everyone continued with their workouts. You cannot fall to pieces just because there are people out there who want to murder you. On Friday Iran threatened annihilation and the world shrugged. So what else is new? Threats to one's life are not a reason to get lazy; quite the opposite.

The workout itself went well. Lying cable rows, upright rows, squats, lunges. The three work sets on the squats were 1 x 8 x 46.5Kg/102.5lbs and 2 x 8 x 45Kg/99.2 lbs. The three work sets on the lunges were 1 x 8 @ 32.5Kg/71.7lbs and 2 x 8 @ 30 Kg/66.1lbs. I'm looking forward to deadlifts tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 5:22 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I'm extremely thankful that Israel was largely at peace whilst I was there. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a tourist there at the moment.

It's great that you can continue to live your life despite goings-on such as this.

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Actually, tourism is up 25% over last year, the hotels and restaurants are packed, and when I walk through downtown I see oodles of visitors.

It's a matter of perspective. When I came here on vacation in the summer of 2001 and then in the summer of 2002, things were blowing up on a near daily basis. So, no worries. :-) Start planning your next visit; it's beautiful over here.

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger chavaleh said...

Yikes. Sobering reality check. And I ended up taking the bus directly to Netanya, too.

Sorry I scared you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home