Saturday, April 22, 2006

Procrastination

The downside to taking university courses taught by profs that you respect is that when they assign boring books for you to read you feel obligated to actually read them. I'm not going to name the book; no reason to denigrate it just because I've been procrastinating on completing the readings. The book has a few quotes by Arrigo Boito, the composer of Mefistofele. I didn't know anything about Mr. Boito before I read this entry, and I was struck by this sentence:
Boito wrote very little music, completing but later destroying another opera, Ero e Leandro, and leaving incomplete a further opera, Nerone, which he had been working at, on and off, since 1877.
Looks like he wrote operas the way I write university papers...

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

HA! That really puts one's own destructive tendencies into perspective! Wow. Destroying a whole opera... and he would've written it all by hand too...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home