Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kafkaesque

For one of my classes at Hebrew U I have to write a personal interpretation of Kafka’s short story Before the Law. There are at least two English translations available on line, here and here. It’s very short; go read. My initial reaction was that it is a good description of how too many people approach lifestyle changes. We waste so much time waiting for permission before actually doing, and we accept the assertion of others that we can't really have what we want. Not now, maybe later.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Wow. I've never read Kafka, and I undoubtedly should based on that. There's a lot involved in that short piece of text.

I tend to agree with your initial thinking - one thing I'm curious about (before I go back and read it yet again), did reading it make you angry at all?

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Yes, it did. How did you know?

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Scott said...

It's the kind of piece that encourages a strong emotional connection with the main character. I could feel myself starting to get angry (thinking 'why don't you ...'), and I'm not an angry person usually.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home