Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fresh Garlic

That pile is not the Israeli variety of Horta. Rather, it is a mound of fresh garlic at the market. It smells absolutely amazing; if you like garlic, that is. I didn't buy any, because I wasn't sure what I would do with it exactly, but I did get honeydew, fresh mint and scallions.

In other food adventures, I went to the Mr. Zol supermarket in the centre of town, and was dismayed to find that they had already put away the matzot. Tomorrow is the last day of Pesach, so its not surprising that they are getting the store ready for regular food, but I was hoping to get another box of the tasty rye matza.

Solid day at the gym. Deads were smooth, but the 2nd and 3rd work sets were a little lighter than I'd hoped for. I wanted 55/52.5/50, but managed 8 x 55Kg/121.3lbs , 8 x 50Kg/110.2lbs, and 8 x 45Kg/99.2. After the second set I asked man-in-charge if I could stay at 50Kg, and he says "You too tired to change plates?" :-) Actually, I was tired today. It started with E-Z bar bicep curls, where 8 x 20Kg/44.1lbs felt much heavier than it ought to have felt. Then, during the deads, I shared the rack with guy-in-charge, who was doing good mornings. He had gotten the bar from the nearby decline bench and put it a few rungs above my bar, so that we wouldn't have to move the one bar up and down between sets. Taking my bar out on the first set of deads, I smack my head into the upper bar. Not hard, fortunately, just enough to wake up. On the bright side, the cardio intervals went well, endurance is definitely improving.

I'm thinking about trying the boxing class. I'm not much of a group activities person, but I may try it out this coming Friday just for fun. I prefer watching boxing (this fight should be interesting); but doing it likely involves too much cardio for my taste. The woman who suggested it is one of the regulars at the gym. She is extremely lean, with a rhythmic gymnast type of physique, similar to this. She's getting very strong, but you don't realise it until you guesstimate the % of bodyweight she is lifting. It is really nice to be in a gym with people who take their training seriously. I hope I find something close to this when I go back to North America.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Actually, you seem to me to be quite social in the gym. You talk to people and get advice. My personal experience is that things at the gym really opened up for me when I started working out regularly with a partner. That sort of thing can be a little intense though and requires real compatibility. The group thing might not be bad.

 
At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You cut the tops off the garlic, rub them in olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and a little rosemary (if so inclined), wrap in foil and roast until tender/soft to touch. Fresh garlic is the best!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home