Friday, April 28, 2006

Boxing II

Boxing class number two this morning. Five men, the coach and me. The men paired up, and the one man who didn't have a partner came over to work with me, so I got to work with each man for a bit. It was fascinating, from the teacher's point of view, because each of them was teaching me something else, and each had a different teaching style. One was big on positive feedback, another was low on feedback but precise on instruction, one was more concerned with my elbow position, another helped me focus on foot position. Everyone was really nice. More than one said that I'm keeping my shoulders too tight and that I need to relax my shoulders and stop raising my elbow. It's interesting, because four or five days a week, out in the weight room, I'm the experienced exerciser, and one day a week, as soon as I step into this class, I'm the newbie.

After class I met a friend downtown for breakfast at Tmol Shilshom. It was a buffet, and I usually don't like buffets, but I was pleasently surprised. I think because the restaurant kept the serving dishes small and kept refillng them with fresh stuff, as opposed to putting large trays of food out and letting them get cold and sorry looking.

After stopping at home I went to find hand wraps and boxing gloves. Took the 4A bus to the Malha shopping centre, and got a pair of hand wraps at אחוות לוחמים, a sport and martial arts supply store whose name means "love/camaraderie amongst fighters/warriors". I like stores with Hebrew names. It annoys me when I see stores in Jerusalem with English names or English-only signs. The hand wraps are bright yellow; it was the last pair the store had in stock. No decision on the gloves yet. The man at the store asked me where I train, and when I told him it turned out he knows the boxing coach. Said he was an excellent coach. I said that I will ask coach which gloves I should get and I'll come back next Friday. The price differences between the gloves are significant, but I don't mind getting a higher end pair as a long term investment.

I'd like to continue with boxing after I leave here. I've always wanted to take a boxing class. A few years ago I read several books about boxing. I read Rope Burns - the short story collection on which Million $ Baby was based - long before the movie came out. Another good book on the subject, non-fiction, is Kill the Body, the Head Will Fall. One of the unexpected but welcome benefits of all the gym time I've put in over the past year is that I now know that I can go into a class, any class, and hold my own.

BTW, are the two Hebrew words in this post readable on your browser? Let me know in the comments. Thanks!

5 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Anonymous mel said...

I can read it on IE via Bloglines. No problem.

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Boxing sounds like a great way to keep up the cardiovascular fitness.

Re the Hebrew text, looks fine in Firefox 1.5.0.2 (screenshot here if you want to see).

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Mel - thank you. And what a fascinating topic for a blog!

Scott - thank you. And extra thank you for going to the trouble of making a screenshot.
The parts I like best about boxing are learning the punching techniques and improving my coordination and agility via the jumprope and footwork drills. The cardiovascular fitness is a nice bonus, much like the my weight loss is a nice bonus of lifting heavy.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Boxing Tomboy said...

I've been taking boxing for five years now. Now if only I could stick to a diet, I would lose the weight I want (smile). It's a great workout and I love the sport. I have a blog on here called Boxing Mid-Life, if you'd like to check it out.

 
At 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It annoys me when I see stores in Jerusalem with English names or English-only signs.

get over it. its money.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home